03 September 2019

Storm clouds over the Atlantic

No, this wasn't a hurricane moving in. It was just a cold front passing over Cape Lookout, North Carolina, in September 2002. I had flown in from California to spend time with family. When I got back to California, Walt and I went on a car and camping trip to Yosemite Valley, Death Valley, and the southern California desert. On that trip, I decided to quit my job and start a new life. Burnout! A couple of months later, Walt and I would fly to France and find the house where we have lived since 2003, near Saint-Aignan, on the Cher River, in the Loire Valley region.


From current reports, the ocean at Cape Lookout will look like like this or a lot worse later this week. There's not much to say about Hurricane Dorian because it's stalled over Grand Bahama Island, a thousand kilometers south of Cape Hatteras. That might be its next target, but nobody really knows where it will go when it starts moving again. I shudder to think what Grand Bahama will look like when we get our first reports from there.


Current forecasts have Dorian passing pretty much directly over my home town of Morehead City, in North Carolina, but as I said, nobody really knows. Morehead is right on a south-facing part of the N.C. coast, a hundred miles southeast of Cape Hatteras. It's only Tuesday, and the hurricane will be a threat to the U.S. coast for about four more days, they say. It could weaken or it could strengthen. It could move onshore or it could veer out to sea.

10 comments:

  1. Let's Hope it veers out to sea. Keep my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back from Blois. It was nip and tuck, but the end result is perfect. More about that in a post...

      Delete
    2. Can't wait!

      You got me intrigued. But if I'm right about what it is, then congratulations...

      Delete
    3. P.S. By the way, learned a new expression today. Had absolutely no idea about nip and tuck. Read it here for the first time. As I said, something new every day.

      Delete
    4. Don't get too excited about the developments in Blois.

      Delete
    5. "Nip and tuck" or "Nip-tuck" has a second meaning, especially in LA, Miami, NYC. There was a popular TV series about it called, what else, "Nip/Tuck:" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjHEJItSR7E

      Glad that Dorian has been downgraded. Sad for the people of the Bahamas.

      Delete
    6. Hurricanes are like the stock market — They're up, they're down. They're up, they're down. Once Dorian is over warm water again, not land, it will probably strengthen. We'll see.

      Delete
  2. As of about 8 p.m. Tuesday, they're evacuating the Outer Banks, with perhaps a voluntary evacuation for Carteret County; they'll know more by Wednesday. The storm keeps getting bigger, but if it continues to weaken that could help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping Dorian will miss Morehead City. We have our 50th class reunion in October. Glenn and I have plane tickets, a rental car, and rooms booked. But just in case, we took trip insurance.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?