28 December 2007

Changing colors

Not much to say today. I don't feel optimistic
about the dawning of 2008. Not yet, anyway.

Christmas Day, about 8:15 a.m.

The Christmas morning sunrise was spectacular.
At first, the sky eastern sky was a brilliant red.

Farther out in the vineyard and 10 minutes later

The light slowly became less intense,
with oranges and yellows replacing the deep reds.

Pretty in pink

Then, for a few moments, the vineyard
was bathed in pink light.

I see the moon and the moon sees me.

Looking west, you could vaguely see the full moon
behind hazy pinkish clouds, with the rusty gold of
the vines and scrub oak trees in contrast.

The silvery gray of December's cold

By the time I got back to the house at 9:00 a.m.,
the landscape had reverted to the silvery gray tones
to which we have become accustomed.

8 comments:

  1. Those pictures are really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not too optimistic about 2008 either, but I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the year to come. Remember our own assasinations in '68? Those years were bad also, but we were young and optimistic then.

    I'm going to be doing a jig on 1/20/09.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole world is subdued...A bit like: we have no control.

    Thanks for the splendid pictures. They uplift my spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a nice reward for getting up early.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am pensive, too. Things in many areas of global life have been up and down for the last several months. I think this will bottom out in 2008, but that in doing so we can expect more political upheavel, economic concerns, and social unrest throughout the world. I am a little worried about what it will mean this year and into the future.

    Oh, nice pics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, we're certainly living in interesting (scary?) times. Although, honestly Ken, I don't know how you can't feel just a hint of optimism with the gift of a sunrise like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These photos are just spectacular, Ken. Hope you and Walt had a splendid Christmas with your poularde. We are still eating away on a fresh ham accompanied by kugel, a Lithuanian tradition from Norma's family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing and beautiful set of photos. They would tend to make me optimistic :)

    Claude from Blogging in Paris

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?