09 January 2022

Closing in on Amboise

When Walt and I decided in 2002 that the prospect of moving to and living in France might just turn into reality,
our first idea was to see if we could find a place to live in Amboise, famous for its history and its château.
That's how we ended up in Saint-Aignan, about 30 minutes southeast of Amboise by car.

We had spent a week in nearby Vouvray in October 2000, and another two weeks there in June 2001. Vouvray
seemed almost like a suburb of Tours. Amboise was a small city, or at least a big town, in its own right.
It did seem a little touristy, but we could live with that.


I contacted a real estate agent in Amboise. He said he'd be glad to show us some houses in the area in early December.
We found a gîte to rent in Pocé, on the right bank of the Loire across from Amboise, and flew over from California.

We rode around with the realtor for four days, and we saw three houses in Amboise that were for sale. The realtor
said he thought we'd do better in Saint-Aignan, given our budget. Nearly 20 years later, I can say he was right.
But I'm thinking I also ought to put Amboise on our list of Loire Valley towns we might like to live in,
along with Tours, Blois, and Bourges... if and when we decide to leave the rural life behind.

10 comments:

  1. Life in town might be more expensive than in the countryside.
    The big round tower on the left is the “Heurtault Tower, with its riders' access ramp, enabling horseriders to enter the château without dismounting.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be more expensive to buy or rent in a town, but maybe we wouldn't need two cars, and we wouldn't have to pay so much for landscaping services every year. I just don't know if I could stand having neighbors and noise just on the other side of our walls.

      Delete
    2. It certainly would be a completely different experience with no dog to walk every day and no fresh produce from the garden in summer.
      If I’m not mistaken, Walt, you and I had lunch at the Lion d’Or, just below the chateau. IIRC it was very good. It is where, years before, I had lunch with cousins of mine.

      Delete
    3. I remember that lunch at the Lion d'Or that all three of us had, but I don't know when it was.

      Delete
    4. I remember once going to the market on the other side of the bridge with you. Was it on the same day we had that lunch?
      I can’t tell. Apart from the time when I was visiting my cousins seven or eight decades ago, I haven’t been to Amboise that many times, and each time with you.
      I remember that lunch very vividly but not the circumstances why we were there, if not just for that lunch! I wish I could be a better help!

      Delete
    5. The big Sunday market in Amboise is on the same side of the river as the Lion d'Or. I'm not sure I know of a market on the other (right) bank of the Loire.

      Delete
  2. I was mistaken, the big round tower is the Tour des Minimes, also a tour cavalière. The tour Heurtault is on the other side of the chateau.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that I've been inside the Tour des Minimes if only once, but I can't find any photos I took in there.

      Delete
  3. I went to the château in Amboise with Jane and Amy, way back when, but Betsy and Doug and I returned there on our last visit. The view of the town from up above on the grounds of the château, is really memorable.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, if you decided to move to a town, you'll be quite experienced and knowledgeable this time around, since you've had more experience living nearby. The lucarnes on that chateau are quite nice!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?