24 August 2009

Sunrise August 24

It's been a while, I think, since I've posted any sunrise or sunset pictures. I think that's because our skies have been so clear this summer. Sunrises and sunsets without clouds, while magnificent in person, just aren't that photogenic.

I slept until 7:00 this morning and then took Callie out for our walk as soon as I got out of bed. I'm glad I did. Ten minutes after I took these pictures, the sky had changed completely. The sun rose from behind the trees and all the contrasts faded away in the bright light.

Sunrise over La Renaudière
24 August 2009

Then the cloud off in the distance to the west moved over us. When I got home with Callie, I grabbed a cup of coffee and went out to water the garden. I've been watering every other day for a few weeks now. The big cloud moving overhead and the rising sun combined to produce a magnificent rainbow.

There's Callie on her way out into the vineyard. Looking west...

I debated with myself about turning off the water and going in to get my camera again, but decided against it. I just wanted to water and then come back to my computer to look at the sunrise pictures from 45 minutes earlier. And post some of them.

Looking east from farther out in the vineyard, 7:15 a.m.

It started sprinkling rain as I finished watering. Now there is a huge bank of dark purple clouds off to the west. The weather report on TéléMatin a second ago said we should expect thunderstorms with hail today. We need the rain, because we've had practically none in August. Maybe it would be a good idea to go pick some more tomatoes right now.

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful sunrise, Ken! I hope you got your needed rain -- and that you got your tomatoes in before any hail could ruin them. Have you eaten any of your corn, yet? I've actually found sweet corn at the market here in Nogent, grown in the Ile de France region.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made my morning! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken, you and the sunrise have outdone yourselves this morning! The incredible beauty of it must just fill you with joy.

    What a wonderful way to start the day...thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That beautiful sunrise brings a ray of sunshine to my Monday morning. We are experiencing some of the influences of hurricane Bill and though it is still hot, we have rainy days or dark cloudy skies.
    Bon journée

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glorious pictures. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What everyone else has already said! I love to see sun risings like this one. I hope your got those tomatoes in time. More sauce perhaps for spaghetti this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous photos.

    You do realize that watering your garden is what brought the rain? It usually works for us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree heartily with all the previous accolades!

    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Echoing everyone... lovely, thank you Ken. We're having a very foggy, dreary summer on the California coast and your beautiful photography and stories bring warmth. Ah, sun! Tomatoes! Summer...

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS... Hooray for your rain, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos remind me of the skys in Maxfield Parrish paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a treat! It brings back many happy memories!

    Our day started quite warm but it is getting very dark and ominous now. We are waiting for some of the effects of hurricane Bill here in the UK so judging from what Beaver said maybe this is it.

    I hope you are having lots of nice refreshing rain today but that the hails stays away!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?