04 July 2019

Views of Paris from above

In a comment yesterday, "Diogenes" asked me if a photo I had posted included a partial view of a map of Paris. It did. Well, not a map, actually, but some kind of aerial or satellite photo. Here's a better view of it.


I took this photo in a fairly dark room using a flash. I had to take it from a side angle, and not straight in front of the map, because the flash reflected in the map when I tried to take it straight on. I "corrected" the image in Photoshop to make both the photos you see here.


This second attempt at editing the photo I took is truer to its actual color. It's too bad the image has turned so blue over the years. Walt bought the poster in Paris, probably back in the 1990s, and carried it home to San Francisco. He had it mounted on a board. Then we moved it back to France in 2003. It's almost as wide as a double bed, by the way. I just went and measured it: it's 132 x 80 centimeters — 52 x 31½ inches.

10 comments:

  1. I still have a poster of the Eiffel Tower in my bedroom here in western NC that I brought home from my year in Paris in 1970 ! yep I'm almost 70 and I have a poster on my wall...It's a huge black & white photo of La Tour.
    happy 4th (I'm finding it a bit difficult to be patriotic this yr)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My large bird's eye map of Paris isn't with me anymore but it will never leave my memory. The fourth here in Homewood keeps Vulcan great- we can walk a couple of blocks and see the fireworks by his statue. I will not watch one minute of the strange event in DC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, thanks Ken! I thought it was a map because of the bluish color, which reminded me of blueprints. Not knowing that it faded when I saw it in the picture yesterday, I found the blue color attractive! As I was typing this, we just had an earthquake, our first in quite a while. Don't know the magnitude yet, but we were rocking and rolling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see reports of a 6.6 quake in Searles Valley, northeast of LA.

      Delete
    2. We felt very strongly in Salton City the 7.3 2010 Easter Sunday quake more than sixty miles away!

      Even though this one has been downgraded to 6.4., it is still strong enough to be felt 100 miles away.

      Delete
    3. Yes it was at least 100 miles away, to the northeast....building rolled and lurched and books fell down...had that floating feeling I'm sure you two know well from living in CA.

      Delete
    4. The 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake was like that, or worse. The epicenter was 60 or more miles south of San Francisco, but it caused much damage and loss of life in the city. I've written about my experiences in that earthquake. Start here and at the bottom of each post click on Newer Post to view the next post about that quake. There are four posts in all.

      Delete
  4. I have a similar picture, but covering less ground, just showing the central parts of Paris. It has all the buildings drawn in, and there's probably a descriptive term for such maps. Bought it eons ago and toted it around for years until I could get it set up properly. Now it's in the front hall.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?