31 July 2019

L'église de Montrésor








The village of Montrésor, located half an hour's drive south of Saint-Aignan, is officially one of Les Plus Beaux Villages de France, with its château and church. The church was built between 1520 and 1550 in the Gothic style. This is one of its stained-glass windows, and it dates back to that period, which was the time of the French Renaissance. It depicts the Passion and the Crucifixion of Christ.

I took this photo in 2003, when we had just arrived in Saint-Aignan. Over the years, I've published many posts about Montrésor, including a long series about two years ago. Here's a link to another site that includes a lot of information and photos of the town.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! This is an amazing vitrail. It looks so modern. If you didn't say it dates back to the building of the church, I'd have thought it was contemporary. I like the composition and colors, especially the unusual grisaille at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm on the same page as chm. Different looking windows. Beautiful, but the upper part almost looks like a grisaille.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Later this morning I found another picture that I like even better. I'll post it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it's modern looking and unusual for the time it was made. I don't remember seeing it, but I do remember being in Montrésor once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, with Marie and Florence. That was a nice day with beautiful weather — 13 years ago!

      Delete
    2. 13 years ago- wow! I can't get over how times flies for someone in her seventies.

      Delete
  5. My thoughts, exactly -- wouldn't have thought this window dated from the Renaissance. Cool!
    Judy (too lazy to switch accounts)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful:)
    This is just what I needed to see tonight.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?