25 July 2022

Saint-Aignan in summer (15)

Here are three more pictures of the privately owned Château de Saint-Aignan.
I hope one day to be able to see the interior, but for now it's not open to visitors
and never has been in the nearly 20 years I've lived here.

       

The weather was hot again yesterday afternoon, but nothing like last week. I wrote the other day about  information I saw on Wikipédia saying that the Saint-Aignan used to get 7.5 days per year with a high temperature exceeding 30ºC, based on statistics kept between 1971 and the year 2000. I checked Accuweather for daily high temperatures here. This year already we've had 22 such days — 3 in May, 7 in June, and 12 in July. Accuweather is predicting we'll have 6 more days above 30ºC during the first week of August. It's nice and breezy this morning. That's something to take advantage of while it lasts.

5 comments:

  1. You live in such a beautiful area. Interest in every corner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual I find the photos fascinating. I have been carefully comparing various photos taken at different times and from different approaches. The photos I have found here and there online and taken by drone shows the "sprall" that took place over time. The view from the courtyards that are open to the public really proves just how high up over the river valley the compound is. Thanks again for posting them. I have 100s of 1930's postcards that were given to me almost 50 years ago. They were a gift from a Professor of Geography at Amherst and a renowned member of The Royal Scottish Geographical Society. He was the cartographer who mapped the entire coast line and many of the major interior areas of France in preperation for WWII. There is quite a story that goes along with my almost 100 year old collection of post cards.The gist of the story is that the professor and his wife had been ordered to return to Washington, D.C. and were leaving Paris for the Port of Le Havre on the very day in 1938 that Hitler invaded Austria. The professor and wife knew nothing of the invasion until their ship landed in New York City. His maps were what were used for the Allied Invasion of Normandy. He also was also involved in the selection of the site we know today as Oak Ridge, TN and an advisor for the Manhattan Project. He was a life long Francophile and she a life long Anglophile. Ok. I will stop my story telling before it gets way out of hand. Make sure you two stay hydrated. Dehydration came at me fast 3 weeks ago and almost the death of me. I am still slowly but surely recovering at home after a stay in the hospital. Adieu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting. I'm wondering if all those postcards have ever been digitized.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed hearing that story, Woody. I have a couple post cards from Bordeaux sent to my mother by her Uncle who was there in WWI. Postcards are nice collectibles- they don't require much space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice :)
    Judy

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?