22 July 2022

Saint-Aignan in summer (12)

The town or commune of Saint-Aignan has only 2 kilometers of riverfront on the Cher river. These are some photos of the river that I took when we first moved here 19 years ago. Nothing much has changed over the years. No new bridges have been built, despite the increased traffic in the area that the fame and fortune of the zoo at Beauval has brought. They say the zoo draws two million visitors a year nowadays.

     
There's an island in the Cher at Saint-Aignan, so there are two bridges to cross the two branches of the river.
Above right is a view upriver taken from the island.

At the eastern end of the island there's a "submersible dam" (a weir) that helps regulate the flow of river water.

      When I took these photos, the south branch of the river had been temporarily dammed because work was being done
under the bridge. On the right is a kind of skiff that local people use to row across the Cher.

9 comments:

  1. I have so enjoy your summer vlog photos. I got very curious after it was mentioned your guest took a walk to the Cher from your home. I had not realized how close you really were to the Cher. I fired up my Google Earth Pro and spent about an hour visiting your slice of heaven there in Saint-Aignan. It is all quite lovely and so many centuries of history! It makes you realize just how young North America/United States is when compared to France and Europe. Thank you for all the effort you put forth presenting this vlog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. Our house is about a kilometer from the Cher. We live on the heights above the river valley.

      Delete
  2. Belles photos avec en prime la maison de famille sur la deuxième . Bonne journée et merci .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures of your lovely town, Ken. Thanks so much.
    BettyAnn, still testing positive after 18 days :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry. I hope you feel better soon. Are there different tests you can try?

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Ken. I did an at home test and also had one at my Dr’s office yesterday. Both positive.
      BettyAnn

      Delete
  4. I love that photo of the damn ;)

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?