23 July 2022

Saint-Aignan in summer (13)

I found these interesting weather statistics for the Saint-Aignan area on French Wikipédia yesterday.
They are based on data collected from 1971 to the year 2000:

The number of days per year with a high temperature above 30ºC (86ºF): 7.5
The number of days per year with a low temperature below –5ºC (23ºF): 2.8

      Two views looking upriver from Saint-Aignan...

...and one view looking downriver

     

Just over seven days per year with a high temperature above 86ºF doesn't sound like very many to me.
Now I'm looking for statistics for 2022, and for the period from 2001 to 2021.

Walt and I used to keep daily records of high and low temperatures and rainfall totals at our house,
but we stopped doing that a few years ago because we thought we had a pretty good idea
of what kind of weather to expect. Nature always surprises us, though.

I just looked back at our records for 2005, a year that in my memory had a very pleasant summer. There I see 12 days with a high over 86ºF. Eight were in June, and just four were in July. In records for 2006, I found more: four in June and 17 in July — 21 in all. That was a long hot spell, then, in July 2006. In 2007, the summer of which was particularly rotten, I find only two days with highs over 86ºF, July 15 and August 5. The record-breaking year would have been 2003, of course, but we had just arrived that year and didn't start keeping records until 2005, I believe.

2 comments:

  1. It’s so interesting that you can access this kind of data to make these comparisons.
    Here in Vermont (where I’m visiting Betsy and Doug), the temperatures are more acceptable than St Louis.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a good time in Vermont. Say hello to Betsy and Doug for me.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?