That means "as sick as a dog" and it describes my condition yesterday. I suspect the reason is the oysters I ate on New Year's Eve over at the neighbors. This has happened to me three times in the past — once, in 1996, when I ate oysters at a nice restaurant in Dublin — I was in Ireland for work. Another time, in 2004, it was in southwestern France, when I had oysters in a restaurant in Saint-Jean-de-Luz.
Then there was a third time, in 2007, when I ate one or two oysters that were lightly poached in a creamy bisque soup in a Michelin-starred restaurant at Bléré, near Chenonceaux. And now it's happened again. I won't describe the symptoms, but you can imagine what they are. It's food poisoning, called une intoxication alimentaire in French. They oysters are contaminated with a micro-organism, either bacteria or a virus. The "bug" lives in your digestive system for about 36 hours, producing poisons. Then you realize you are sick.
Walt had some of the symptoms too, but his case was a lot milder than mine. I'm hoping that today will be less grim than yesterday was. I've eaten oysters on dozens of occasions in the past without getting poisoned. I'll think twice before I ever eat one again.