23 May 2023

Stuff I got at the supermarket

I went grocery shopping yesterday. The supermarket I went to, Super U, is in Montrichard (Chissay, actually), a 20-minute drive from our house. I wanted to drive the car a little after I had it worked on last week. It got a new timing belt. The car is 15 years old now, but it runs fine, looks good, and is fairly spacious inside. I came back home by driving south to the town of Céré-la-Ronde, and then east on little country roads through forest and fields to Saint-Aignan. That drive was more like 30 minutes. The shopping was successful and the drive went smoothly. Here's some of the stuff I bought, with photos.


I got turkey breast for kebabs and/or Asian stir-fries. Lettuce for salads dressed with vinaigrette. Tomatoes for salads. Ham called jambon de Paris for sandwiches and gratins. Mushrooms for sauces and sautés. Cheeses — Dutch Gouda, Basque Tomme, French Emmenthal and Comté — salads, gratins, or sandwiches like croque-monsieur. This list is not exhaustive. You can see below how everthing is packaged and labeled.


I also got two boxes of purée de tomates, six eggs, two nice veal chops (which we had for lunch yesterday, barbecued), and three baguettes, not to mention five or six carrots, one cooked beet, one cucumber, some fresh cilantro, four lemons, a jar of quince jelly, and one jar each of confiture de fraises (strawberry jam) and confiture de mirabelles (yellow plum jam). No photos of all that today.

6 comments:

  1. I love grocery shopping in Europe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I was just about to say that, too, Travel :) I don't know why it's so much fun to see French food in its grocery packaging, but I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely foods!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last post was Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can't go wrong with a croque-monsieur. Glad you were able to service your car. New and used cars seem to be overpriced now because of the pandemic. Still.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, love grocery shopping in Europe. I very seldom buy/eat packaged, sliced ham in the US but I buy it often in France. It’s so good.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?