14 May 2023

May 2009 vs. May 2023

I'm hoping and hoping that we'll soon start having some nice weather so that I can hang wet laundry outdoors to dry. I don't think many people in the U.S. use a clothesline any more, but people out here in the French countryside certainly do. It's especially nice to be able to hang jeans, throw rugs, towels, bedsheets, and comforter covers outside. We have a clothes dryer and we use it more than we used to, expecially in wintertime or when the weather turns rainy, but nothing beats the smell and feel laundry that has dried outdoors. I'm also hoping that our vegetable garden plot might look as good in 2023 as it did in May 2009. All this rain should be good for it.


Today I'm headed to the outdoor market over on the other side of the river in Noyers-sur-Cher. We had a pretty impressive thundershower late yesterday afternoon, after moderate rain showers all day. It's not raining yet this morning, so maybe I'll be able to shop outdoors for the asparagus and the chicken I want to get for our Sunday dinner.

I also have to pick up a package that's waiting for me at the little grocery store in Noyers. It was delivered to the store yesterday and it's up to me to go fetch it. It's a new set of satellite TV decoders that are supposed to work much better with our new fiber optics internet. We don't pay for them except for a minimal monthly rental fee. That way, if they go on the fritz the satellite TV provider replaces them for free.
Here are a couple of wild orchids that were growing on the edge of the Renaudière vineyard near our house May 2009. In other news, despite all the rain we've been having, our renovated front terrace is performing fantastically. Rainwater that used to form puddles on the deck surface now runs off the way it was always supposed to do. The contractor did a good job. If my wishes for a warm-but-not-hot and a moderately rainy summer are granted, we (including Tasha) will really enjoy the terrace.

5 comments:

  1. Je fais des vœux pour que tes souhaits soient exaucés. I keep my fingers crossed!
    High tech solar and wind power is best for laundry on the line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci chm pour vos mots et la traduction - je dit l'anglais plusieurs fois!

      Delete
  2. Your clothesline is so discreet. So glad the deck is fixed now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent news about the front terrace, and I agree with Evelyn about the clothesline… it fits in nicely, and adds a nice countryside-in-the-summer feel :)
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss seeing those market displays in the french markets - even though my local Fred Meyer and even Albertsons are now displaying individual bins of vegies/fruits for encouraging sales! They are not France, but it is a start! So pleased your tiling pros solved the water runoff issue on your terrace. I agree it will be wonderful for both of you and Tasha to enjoy during the warm days. Is your clothesline on the southside of the house? My parents had a clothesline and yes, sheets have that wonderful aroma after drying in the breeze!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?