06 May 2023

Poppy details




This is probably too many pictures that are too much alike, but I took them and have found them so I'll post them. I took them with a Canon PowerShot S70 digital camera in May 2006. The French name for the poppy plant and flower is pavot. One well-known poppy is called un coquelicot and it's a pavot as well. The coq- in the name is an allusion to the cock or rooster, whose crest is the same bright red color. These poppies are not coquelicots as best I can determine but are called pavots d'orient (oriental poppies). I think they were growing in our neighbors' flower garden that year. The California poppy, with its yellow or orange flowers, is called le pavot de Californie.

7 comments:

  1. Not too many poppies pics. I didn't know there were two names for poppies. I love them but never have been able to grow them. I love seeing the wild ones in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to grow especially well in soil that has just been plowed for growing cereal crops like wheat, barley etc.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I took these photos with a Canon PowerShot S70 camera that I had back then. It took great photos in good strong sunlight.

      Delete
  3. My mother grew oriental poppies. One year just as they had bloomed, she came out to see each one had been cut off. She could only think some "idiot" thought he was getting opium. Not enough photos of poppies for me! Your photos are perfect for today's grey day. I have been using 'coquelicots' but now I know there are two varieties and I will use pavone, too. Merci, Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pavot is the French name for a whole genus of poppies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ken,Wonderful shots of poppy centres. I am painting such at the moment and yours show every detail.Thanks, Franinoz. (If successful I will credit your work, of course)

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?