11 May 2023

Looking up and looking down...

...in the vineyard. May 2008. The first picture is looking out across the Cher river valley toward the north. The yellow fields are planted in colza (rapeseed), from which huile de colza (canola oil) is extracted. I wish we were having weather like this right now, even though we need the rain we're getting this month. It's still not enough rain to end the drought, but it can only help. I hope the coming summer won't be as hot and dry as last year's.


Below are two photos of wild orchids that grow around the vineyard in May. I've seen quite a few this month, but they're pretty small compared to these, which I photographed in early May 2008. Today is the first day of the saints de glace, the three saint's days that mark the last danger of frost according to European popular wisdom. Starting next week, we can begin setting plants out in the vegetable garden — unless the rains continue. Some years we can't plant seedlings before early June, if we don't want them to freeze or drown.

    

P.S. I took Tasha to the vet's yesterday for her annual examination and vaccination. The vet weighed her and she came in at 9.8 kilograms, down from more than 15 at the time of her 2022 accident (a torn ligament). Our goal since her surgery nearly 18 months ago had been to get her weight down to 11 kilos or less. Now the vet says we need to start feeding the dog more and get her weight up to about 10.5 kilos.

19 comments:

  1. Tasha will be happy with the extra rations. Fingers crossed for a good planting season.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sure will. We've started giving her a little more to eat now.

      Delete
  2. I wish I needed to add a few pounds lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that Tasha has done well after her accident and surgery. (Healthy) Treats for you, dear Tasha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let’s see if Mitchell’s fix for commenting from an iPad or tablet works… I think it will!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where did Mitchell post this fix, Judy?

      Delete
    2. I too finally got the fix myself. Just like God’s, Google ways are impenetrable!

      Delete
    3. Here is what I did.
      For a number of weeks, I clicked on the down arrow next to Comment as and put my initials, then on the extreme right I clicked “continue”. That set my initials and I could enter or paste my comment. That process lasted for some time until a few days ago when Google finally recognized who I was and put directly my initials without any doing of mine. Again, just like God’s, Google’s ways are impenetrable!!

      Delete
    4. Impenetrable is in the eye of the beholder.

      Delete
    5. I just check my browsers, Safari, Chrome and Duckduckgo and … they were all on (?). So my “fix” wasn’t the same as yours!

      Delete
    6. I just check my browsers, Safari, Chrome and Duckduckgo and … they were all on (?). So my “fix” wasn’t the same as yours!

      Delete
    7. I just check my browsers, Safari, Chrome and Duckduckgo and … they were all on (?). So my “fix” wasn’t the same as yours!

      Delete
    8. I just check my browsers, Safari, Chrome and Duckduckgo and … they were all on (?). So my “fix” wasn’t the same as yours!

      Delete
    9. My “fix” (initials) was different from yours. The cross website tracking was on in my browsers,

      Delete
    10. The first four comments in this series about checking your browsers etc. came in as comment that needed to be moderated. I had to approve them and post them myself. The last comment, about "fix" (what does that mean to you?) came in as spam. I had to re-define it as "not spam" to get it to post.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?