27 May 2023

Greens need rains

Accuweather, my go-to weather site on the web, is predicting little to no rain for Saint-Aignan before July 1. I hope the forecasters have got it wrong this time. I'd like to have some weather like what you see in the photos below. Storm clouds and an occasional drenching would be welcome.

The vegetable garden is all planted now. Tomotoes, zucchini, pumpkins, and green beans. I'm going to try to grow some kale and collard greens under a cold frame. Hot dry weather, meaning dry, hot soil, might help keep snails and slugs away, as well as weeds.

I'll have to do a lot of watering. We aren't currently under water-use restrictions, but that might change any day now. I'm taking a risk. I sure would love to get a good crop of greens like the one I had in the summer of 2011. You can see it in two photos above. That year I planted collard and mustard green seeds under a cold frame. Then I pulled up and transplanted a lot of seedlings that I spaced out well so they'd have room to grow big and bushy. I'll do that again this year if my seeds come up.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you have a good crop this year and you are able to keep it watered through June.
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Between yesterday's roses (that I'm just seeing today), and today's garden and sky views, the view on my desktop today is luscious :)

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?