18 January 2021

Façades, fenêtres et volets [2]

Here are some photos I took when we were spending a week in Paris in back in April 2006. By the way, I found out that the problem with my YouTube slideshows was a change that the people at Mozilla Firefox made. Changing a setting in that browser made everything work. Chrome continued to work, and so does the Opera browser. I have Safari for Windows and do some testing with it, but it doesn't seem to work at all when it comes to embedded YouTube videos. To each his or her own, when it comes to browsers, I guess.


It's strange that the building above was right next door to the building that the over-the-top expensive Ami Louis restaurant was and still is in. I see on Google Maps street view that it has been renovated since we stayed in the neighborhood.





I think I'm leaving Paris now — if not today, in a day or two. We'll see where I go next. Meanwhile, today is choucroute day at our house in Saint-Aignan. Choucroute garnie — sauerkraut cooked in white wine and served with smoked sausages, smoked meats, and steamed potatoes. A wintertime dinner.

9 comments:

  1. Great variety. Photo #3 is an expat from Rouen. With such prices, l'Ami Louis could renovate the whole block! I love the last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of Ami Louis but never seen it until today. Lewis and I have a vaccine appointment at the health department today! Enjoy your kraut- choucroute has a nicer sound, non?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evelyn I'm very happy for you! That's great.

      I'm enjoying this detour into the Marais. It's really the neighborhood where the Hausmann buildings disappear. Lots of cool bars and restos. I love the carvings over the door in picture #4 too.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful. I'm a little sorry that this tour of Paris is over.
    I think I see another sign on the Residence Du Pont aux BIches--is it one of the WWII memorials that signify that this building was a school whose students were deported?

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, the building that has been renovated has a new bar next to it named "Hoe's"...or maybe it's just street art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos!
    Back to the discussion of the English wording needed to express pour les gourmands, as regards the hotel website and their breakfast offering: I was thinking maybe, "for hearty eaters", but even that sounds a bit insulting for hotel guests. I would totally re-word it, and say, "For our guests who appreciate a hearty breakfast".... I know it's more words, but anything else gives the tone of "over eaters". That's my thought, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe gourmand is kind of like our English slang word "foodie" - those who enjoy good food. "A person with a particular interest in food; a gourmet."

      Delete
    2. A gourmand is somebody who lives to eat and the opposite of somebody who just eats to live.

      Delete
  6. The ironwork on the building in the first photo is lovely. Can't you just see it as a movie set, Cary Grant flitting from one apartment to the other to escape the bad guys? More prosaically, I imagine residents growing mini potted gardens out there.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?