20 September 2018

Wet vs. dry

I don't seem to be able to find any photos from storm-damaged Morehead City (my home town in North Carolina) that aren't several days old. I assume that's because the people there are too busy cleaning up and maybe don't have electricity back yet. I still don't have news from many people that I'm concerned about. I feel cut off from N.C. and the U.S. now the way I used to feel so cut off from France before I came to live here.


Here in Saint-Aignan, on the last day of astronomical summer, it's just dry dry dry. It's a parallel universe in some ways, given how wet it has been in Morehead City and the rest of eastern North Carolina. Forecasts say we might get a sprinkle of rain tomorrow.


Here are some local Saint-Aignan scenes from a few days ago, when I was coming back home from a vineyard walk with Natasha the Shetland sheep dog. Good news: we've started up our daily walks again. Shorter walks than before, but walks quand même.


I'll be going out with the dog in a few minutes, once the sun comes up. Other good news: our new dishwasher is supposed to be delivered and installed later today. Because we do so much cooking and processing of food for storage, it turns out that a dishwasher isn't exactly a luxury for us.

P.S. I just found out that the newspaper based in Morehead City, the Carteret County News-Times, was able to publish yesterday. The newspaper's on-line edition is not available in the European Union unless you have a VPN set up on your internet connection. I just recently set up a VPN (Virtual Private Network) so I was happy to get some information from home (but not enough).

15 comments:

  1. The pond looks like it's been overtaken by floating weeds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. C'est de la jussie, une plante « invasive ». Some years ago, when the pond's water level was really low (as it is now), somebody brought water from the Cher up here in a huge tank pulled by a tractor to fill it up. The plant, called Ludwigia or "water primrose", came with the river water. It's impossible to get rid of, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you will be able to get some more news-- it's a terrible feeling to feel cut off, and have no response from loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rang my sister's number a few minutes ago but now answer.

      Delete
  4. i think many rivers are still rising Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read somewhere that the Neuse River in Kinston wouldn't crest until tomorrow. That will keep Morehead City and New Bern cut off from Raleigh.

      Delete
  5. Ken
    Have you seen this :
    http://www.witn.com/content/news/What-it-was-like-to-ride-out-the-storm-in-Morehead-City-493668321.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, N. I hadn't seen that one. Beaufort NC is even more remote than Morehead City, so I'm not surprised it's taking longer to get the electricity going again.

      Delete
  6. have you been following the chef Jose Andreas? He is feeding the people in the flooded areas like he did in Puerto Rico....what a wonderful guy

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are alive and kicking in NC!! Lots of damage, as bad as I have ever seen and I will not ride the next one out!! Joanna & I have had the mission open since Monday. Power and phones are spotty. We received donations from some of your fellow bloggers and are very appreciative!! We love you and are ok. Ginger and Joanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ginger. I figured you were okay but I wondered if the mission had flooded in the storm. I guess not. I hope you have or soon will have power at home. Love you both.

      Delete
  8. Try calling Joanna now, may get through.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perhaps, even probably, you've already seen this but just in case:

    https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/Florences-Floods-Future-Atlantic-Threats-and-Medicane

    ReplyDelete
  10. They seem to be routing traffic through western NC, so I gather that I-95 is still closed. A bit west of Greensboro on I-40 this afternoon, overhead signs told northbound I-95 traffic to keep going toward 85 and Durham. That's a very long detour.
    But weather is clear and the land drying off.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?