21 September 2018

Bonnes nouvelles !

I got this e-mail from my sister and our cousin yesterday afternoon. Ginger's mother and my mother were sisters:
We are alive and kicking in NC!! Lots of damage, as bad as I have ever seen and I will not ride the next one out!! Joanna and I have had the mission [the food bank] open since Monday. Power and phones are spotty. We received donations from some of your fellow bloggers and are very appreciative!! We love you and are okay
Ginger and Joanna
This made me very happy, as you can imagine. I take it that Martha's Mission's building and stocks of food survived the winds and flooding. Ginger is the organization's operations manager and Joanna, who still works part-time as an optician, is her side-kick and right-hand woman now. It's so good that the two of them have become such good friends and cooperate with each other the way their mothers did, especially during the last 25 years of their lives.

Obviously, I didn't take this photo of the Oceanana fishing pier in Atlantic Beach, North Carolina, during Hurricane Florence. When the storm was over, the end of the pier and the gazebo had washed away. Credit and thanks to the AP.

Maybe I can start to relax now. Tasha is all better, we think, and our daily walks have resumed. It's supposed to rain this morning, and we really need that. The new dishwasher was installed on schedule late yesterday. I've received the new display panel for my laptop — all I have to do now is find time to remove the old screen and put the new one in. I'll find time for that "operation" very soon.

10 comments:

  1. Glad you got good news from your sister and your cousin, and that things for them are not as dire as feared. They are to be commended for their dedication. It seems the Washington, DC, area didn't get much rain from Florence.

    Is it a tricky "operation" to replace your laptop screen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, replacing the screen is pretty straightforward. There are just four screws to remove. The screen plugs into a connector through which it receives signals from the motherboard. Then you put the four screws back in and you're good to go. Oh, there's also a bezel (the frame around the screen) but it snaps off and on. Here's a YouTube video showing the process.

    I've just been too busy to tackle the job, and the screen I have works but the line of bad pixels now runs from top to bottom on the left side of the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a relief! So sorry to know of the damages there, of course. I hope the donations will help replenish the food supplies at the Mission, or help put the place back in decent condition. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Over the many years that I've been reading your blog, I've noticed that the amount of rain we receive is quite the opposite of what you get. Overall Texas receives a lot less than your area of France so I'm usually envious of your photos of a lush green lawn, etc. But so far this month, we've had almost 8 inches of rainfall. And this winter is now predicted to be an El Nino one so it will be interesting to see what happens in France.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the news is good news. I am glad. I expected Florida to get pounded by these storms but we haven't even had rain yet ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a scary photo! So glad you heard from Ginger and Joanna. Hopefully, there won't be another storm like Florence for a long time. I'm so glad you took us to Martha's Mission when we visited. Ginger and Joanna are continuing the good work that they learned from their mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad to hear that you've heard from Ginger and she and your sister are ok and the Mission is able to continue. It's an odd coincidence that the mystery I'm currently reading takes place in Georgia during a lot of flooding. And Tasha has been recovering quite well. Other good news.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great news...know you are relieved

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is quite a photo of the pier in the storm. Glad your sister and cousin are doing OK.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good news, indeed. I am so glad they are well, and that their foodbank can continue.
    Alas, there are going to be other bad storms because hurricanes build over warm water, and the planet is heating up. Humans seem not to have realized that there is no Planet B.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?