23 June 2016

Cat days

I was afraid yesterday might turn out to be the beginning of a spell of what are called "dog days." Instead, the weather was very pleasant — just verging on hot, but not really. This is the kind of weather when Bertie the black cat likes to come spend his afternoons on the shady east-facing terrace.


About 11 a.m., however, the phone rang. I don't answer it often — too many marketing calls — but this time the number was obviously local. Since we are waiting for calls from a plumber and a gardener, I picked it up. It was our neighbor across the street. "Bertie is in my house. Can you come get him? I'm afraid to try to pick him up."

The tone of the neighbor's voice was friendly and she apologized for bothering me. I went right over and got him. She has cats, and Bertie used to fight with them, but not any more. One time, the neighbor tried to intervene, and Bertie scratched her. So she's careful around him. I brought the cat home and he spent the rest of the day with us on the terrace. Bertie is ten years old now, and he's lived here with us for six of those years.

14 comments:

  1. Just like Callie, Bertie is very friendly, but they're not with each other. Genes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les chiens et les chats, rien à faire. C'est écrit. Bertie et Callie se tolèrent, sans plus.

      Delete
  2. it's funny how cats can end up being friendly with those neighborhood felines they used to fight with

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the earlier territorial battles lasted too long, but finally they are over. Last year, some people with a cat moved in a couple of houses down. Bertie is still fighting with that cat. Soon, they will have it all worked out and feline peace will reign.

      Delete
  3. Bless his heart, he looks good for 10 years. I guess even cats mellow with old age :)
    I added my late moms cat to my little twosome and it has been a mix of sweet napping kitties and me the referee, breaking up a spat. But I think of how much that cat misses mom too. . and give everyone an extra smelly fishy treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bertie was left behind by friends of ours who moved back to England. I volunteered to take him in, naively thinking that he and Callie would become friendly. Never happened. But Bertie knew us before coming to live here in 2010, and settled right in. He's a sweet cat.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Doesn't he look kind of Egyptian? I'm not sure why I think that.

      Delete
  5. Awwwww, Bertie! Gosh, I just love to see Bertie:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not easy to take a good picture of Bert, especially up close. I liked this one too.

      Delete
  6. Nice picture. He's a handsome guy and he does look like one of those Egyptian cat statues from antiquity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor old Bertie's got a bad rap. He's a snuggle puss. If you're strong enough to pick him up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I'm convinced you are right. And yes, he is hefty, thougn not overweight. He's just a big Tom.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?