21 June 2016

Bhinda per eedu — finishing the gombos

You have an idea. You wonder if anybody else has had the same idea. You search the internet. Well, one more time, there's your idea in five or six different versions, with some history, a detailed description, and a recipe.


It's the story of the 21st century. And it's a good one. Anyway, we had some Indian-spiced okra left over and decided to eat it yesterday. My idea was to put it into an omelet, or a frittata, or even a quick egg soufflé. (The gombos in my title is what okra is called in French.)


It turns out that the "frittata" called Bninda per eedu is a classic egg and okra dish in parts of India. The woman from Mumbai who posted a recipe, and who now lives in the San Francisco Bay Area, says it was a childhood favorite and that her mother cooked it at least once a week "by popular demand." I'll be sure to save a link to her web site.


I diced up the left over okra pods, onions, and garlic. I chopped a fresh tomato and added it when I put everything in a frying pan. I also added a little bit of roasted chicken breast meat that was cut into small pieces.


Then I beat up four eggs just slightly with a fork and poured them into the hot pan. When the bottom of the frittata was set, I put the pan in the oven under the broiler to cook the top. You don't want to overcook it. We ate it with French-fried potatoes and thought it was delicious.

14 comments:

  1. I bet it was delicious. It looks like a Mexican omelet. Once again, I already had my breakfast so I can look at it without too much envy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This morning on our walk Callie and I saw two animals that I think were martens. They fled into the woods as I approached. They looked a little like sea otters and were large like that, seeming to me to be bigger than Bertie, for example. I've seen foxes and badgers around the edges of the vineyard before, but never martens (if that's what they were).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like martens indeed. My sister saw one yesterday in the Foret de Preuilly. I suspect the season/weather is making them more obvious.

      Delete
  3. Ken, that story of the 21st century (the internet) is indeed a blessing, I experience every day living downunder and still having family and friends in Europe. The Bninda looks very tastefull and I wish I could smell (or taste) it. Maybe an addition to the internet for the 22nd century ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I wonder if you can get bhinda/gombos/okra in W. Australia...

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. yesterday I copied the wrong link for growing gumbo downunder, but this is the right one: http://www.gardenate.com/plant/Okra?zone=2

      Delete
  5. This month's Southern Living magazine mentions frying okra just like you did. I have never had okra in a omelet. I love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this looks so very good. I love Indian food, gumbos and I love fried okra ( I grew up in the South after all .)
    I will try to make this .. or I will send you my address and you can mail it to me lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eggs are always a wonderful way to use leftovers. I often make a crustless quiche, but I think this frittata rift looks even more delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never would have thought of using okra in an omelette, clever idea. But I also find myself eyeing those tasty french fries to the right of the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "You wonder if anybody else has had the same idea...." It has become apparent that my thoughts are quite unoriginal!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?