01 September 2021

The Château de Courances, near Fontainebleau

The town of Courances and its privately owned château are just 30 miles (50 km) north of Bellegarde, 30 miles south of Paris, and 10 miles west of Fontainebleau. The parc du château measures 75 hectares (185 acres). A manor house or château has stood here since before the year 1550. After being "modernized" in the 1600s and 1700s, it was abandoned for most of the 19th century. Before that time, in the 1770s, new windows had been cut into the walls at Courances to make it a more comfortable residence. Its current appearance dates back to the 1870s, when the brickwork of the exterior walls was exposed, revealing its Louis XIII style. The "horseshoe" staircase was added in the late 1800s and is modeled on the staircase at the château in Fontainebleau. These days, it is open to the public. Here's a link to the web site.

1    2    3


4    5    6

8 comments:

  1. When I had a look at Courances, I was standing in #6 having the view of #5. If you know it’s there you can see the staircase, otherwise...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I look at it, the view I had was rather #2!

      Delete
    2. These are photos that I took in June 2009 with the Panasonic TZ3 camera.

      Delete
    3. Lumix was definitely a great little camera.

      Delete
    4. It was a great camera, but so were its successors, the ZS1 (TZ6) and the ZS8(TZ18). I still have those and use them once in a while.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Melinda, if you stand at the gate in #2 and make a half turn with your back to the chateau, the view you have is #6.

      Delete
  3. I love each photo today and am enjoying them with my first cup of coffee. The boy and dog statues are nice. The boy looks like he's masked lol- the pandemic has got a hold on me. The fellow on the tractor reminds me of how much work there is keeping up a grounds of a palace.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?