06 September 2021

Meillant : la Tour du Lion, etc.

The large photo just below is a long-zoom shot that CHM took when we were at Meillant in June 2009. He and I were both using Panasonic Lumix TZ3 cameras. The two smaller photos, #1 and #2, are ones I took. You can sort of see the lion at the top of the tower in both of them. La Tour du Lion at the Château de Meillant was built in the early years of the 16th century by Charles II d'Amboise, in the Louis XII style.


     2

     4


Photo #3 above shows the part of the château that was built earlier, when there was a moat all around the complex. Photo #4 is a gargoyle. I've rotated it 90º to the left so that the winged dog is looking to the right rather than down at the ground. And finally, the last photo is a drawing of what the château supposedly looked like in 1510 (thanks to Wikipedia — the photo is in the public domain).

7 comments:

  1. As I told you in an email, I am amazed at the sharpness of the Lion, considering the distance that separated us, the lion and me.
    The stonework on this tower is exquisite, and your photos make it so.
    Such good memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comments are posting now!

      Delete
    2. The problem was that the prompt, with select all and paste, didn’t prompt with paste!! Repeatedly, the only prompt that prompted was select and select all, no paste. As I said before, I, most of the time, prepare my long comment in Notes and then paste it in the blog. It probably was a blogger’s bug because I tried with four browsers and nada, rien, zilch, zéro!

      Delete
    3. With Walt’s blog, it was different. I could publish my comment, six words written directly, but then it disappeared. I did it several times with the same result, except for the last time when it stuck. I was so happy with that that I wanted to explain in a reply. And you know what... the reply swallowed my poor six words....

      Delete
  2. Yesterday was probably a messy day for Google (Blogger) because Walt’s blog and yours are back to normal as far as I am concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures! The drawing has a nice watercolor effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the drawing also. The lion is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?