13 September 2021

Bourges : les jardins de l'archevêché [1]

In his book A Little Tour in France (1884), Henry James writes of Bourges and its cathedral: “The archiepiscopal palace... is visible as a stately habitation of the last century, at the time of my visit under repair after a fire. From this side and from the gardens of the palace the nave of the cathedral is visible in all its great length and height, with its extraordinary multitude of supports.” I myself enjoyed seeing the cathedral from the gardens, and I also enjoyed taking photos of a lot of flowers.

 1    2    3

 4    5   6

 7    8   9

10     11   12

James continues, describing the time he spent there: “The gardens aforesaid, accessible through tall iron gates, are the promenade — the Tuileries — of the town, and, very pretty in themselves, are immensely set off by the overhanging church. It was warm and sunny; the benches were empty; I sat there a long time in that pleasant state of mind which visits the traveller in foreign towns, when he is not too hurried, while he wonders where he had better go next. The straight, unbroken line of the roof of the cathedral was very noble...”

11 comments:

  1. I'll go with #'s 3,4,6 and 11. 3 roses and a zinnia. beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like you I remember taking a lot of photos of all these flowers in the neat jardin de l’archevéché.
    Here is my take :
    1-Begonia
    2-Pelargonium ?
    3-Zinia
    4-5-6-11-Roses
    7-Aster
    8-?
    9-10-Calendula ?
    12-Pelargonium

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Number 8 is some kind of Trilium, but I can’t find this one.

      Delete
    2. Number 8 looks like a spider wort to me. Love the Henry James quotes.

      Delete
    3. Could #10 be rudbekia, aka Black-eyed Susan?
      Wonderful flowers, such rich colors.

      Delete
    4. Emm, might be, but it seems to ne that the petals (rays?) are longer and narrower in the black-eyed Susan.

      Delete
    5. Yes, Evelyn, you are right.

      Delete
  3. Oh, what a lovely display of color for my Monday morning :)

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?