16 August 2021

Spectacular Irancy





More spectacular than the vineyards of Chablis are the vineyards of Irancy, only 10 miles south and west. They were especially impressive in October.





Irancy is minuscule compared to Chablis, with fewer than 500 acres of vines vs. Chablis' 12,000 acres. That's part of its charm





Another difference is that only red (Pinot Noir) wines are made in Irancy. In Chablis only white (Chardonnay) wines are made. Nearby, another small wine village, Saint-Bris-le-Vineux, makes only white wines but with Sauvignon Blanc grapes.





In addition to the juice of Pinot Noir grapes, Irancy winemakers traditionally add a small proportion (10% maximum) of the juice of the local César grape to their vintages, but it isn't required for the AOC qualification. It is said to add good flavor to the Pinot.





Irancy, with a population of about 300, is located in a deep valley, with vineyards planted on the slopes all around it. The population of Chablis is about 2,300, and of Tonnerre it's 4,500.





By car, Irancy is two hours from Paris if you take the A6 autoroute and 15 miles south of the small city of Auxerre. Chablis and Tonnerre are nearby.

12 comments:

  1. My parents had friends — who lived across the street in Paris — who had a vacation house in Saint- Bris-le-Vineux. I was so young when we visited with them, I have almost no recollection to speak of. Too bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't actually go into Saint-Bris. I wish we had. I should have bought some of the Saint-Bris Sauvignon to see how it compares to Sancerre, Pouilly Fumé, and our local Sauvignon Blanc wines in Touraine.

      Delete
  2. So, can we assume that you've enjoyed some Irancy wine? Only on a visit there, or can you / do you buy it near you somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful photos of this valley and sweet village, especially when expanded on the screen. I'm curious about two things: First, is that conical red-roofed building a part of the church, or maybe a covered market? Kind of looks like a convention center for garden gnomes! Second, is their AOC production so small that you have to buy directly there? Sounds like it would be a delicious Pinot Noir, but don't remember seeing any wines called Irancy in the stores.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't remember ever finding Irancy wines here in the Saint-Aignan area. We don't have any big wine shops, so the only place to buy wines from regions other than the Loire Valley is the supermarket. I suppose you might find bottles of Irancy in Paris.

    That structure you see is part of the church, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful villages and countryside!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just went back and expanded each picture. Magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were really lucky that day in Burgundy to have some sunshine. The colors were gorgeous, especially at Irancy.

      Delete
  7. Interesting about Irancy and its small size and its production of Pinot Noir. I will certainly notice if I see one in the stores here. Reminds me of the wonderful dialogue about Pinot Noir from the film Sideways, "Why are you so into Pinot?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKXCZhA328A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen that film several times and always enjoy watching it again. I think I have a copy of it or a DVD, and I'll be watching it again this week. It's true that Pinot Noir wines are fairly thin if the vinification is not perfect. I think the César grape gives Irancy wines some extra body and flavor.

      Delete
  8. I expanded today's beautiful photos also. They are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?