23 August 2021

Auxerre — realities

Here are a few more photos I took in Auxerre back in 2001. Twenty years ago... unbelievable. It's fun to think about making another big life change. Moving back to a city or at least a big town. The reality is, it's going to be a while. As long as we have a dog and a cat, we'll stay here. When the 15-year-old cat is gone, we'll see. Tasha is a barky dog, so it would be hard to live close to neighbors, or in an apartment. For the next five or six years, I'll just have to take care of myself and try stay in good shape so I can deal safely with our two staircases. I'm 72 years old.


     2

     4


Getting contractors (artisans in French) to show up and do some of the work on the house and yard that we have signed bids on would help my morale a lot. The back yard is a mess, because we've been in waiting mode since last winter and work is not getting done. Walt mows, so that's not bad, but the vegetable garden is a disaster. With all the rain and chilly weather (it's still chilly here) tall weeds have taken over and the tomatoes are rotting on the vine. Oh well... some years are like that. This weekend we got our new kitchen stove. I think Walt plans to post pictures. It's an induction model. Yesterday I cooked an Elizabeth David recipe for pork tenderloin medallions with prunes and a cream sauce — which she says in her book is a specialty of the city of Tours. It was good.

18 comments:

  1. That recipe for pork and prunes in a cream sauce is probably akin to the lapin aux pruneaux that my niece did once and that was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made lapin aux pruneaux but usually as a tajine, with Moroccan spices. I think I've made veau aux pruneaux as well, not to mention chicken. The pork tenderloin (filet mignon de porc) was delicious with the prunes and cream sauce.

      Delete
    2. We had lapin aux pruneaux in a restaurant in a small village (I think it was in the Var) many years ago. from what I remember, it was outstanding.

      Delete
    3. Les médaillons de filet mignon de porc aux pruneaux were pretty good too.

      Delete
  2. Getting jobs done by anyone else has ever been a challenge, especially now it seems, Covid has become a handy excuse for not turning up. We asked someone a year ago to fix the wall of our barn. He said he would do it last October but never produced a devis and when he sees us he hides! Someone else will hopefully be starting work in a couple of weeks' time. It is demoralising, not getting the work done. What a funny old two years this has been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're pretty optimistic that the paysagiste will show up in a few months to trim our hedge and do the other jobs that need to be done. We've signed a devis. Fact is, he told us nearly a year ago that he'd get the job done in January 2021. And then he told Walt that he'd do the job in late June. We're still waiting. The other contractor with whom we've signed a devis is to re-tile our front terrasse and patch a big crack in our garden shed. We sent him a check for 2,000€ back in January. He hasn't deposited it. His office says he hasn't forgotten about us, but no news since early June.

      Delete
  3. Yumm, pork tenderloin medallions with prunes, in a cream sauce, sounds really tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was. We had some leftovers of it as a light supper last night.

      Delete
  4. https://www.cbsnews.com/video/a-101-year-old-lobster-lady/ If you think you are getting old just watch this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some live to be 100, others leave this world much earlier. I'm lucky to still have my health. For the time being. I've outlived my father and my two grandfathers, as well asone of my grandmothers. That might not be significant, but...

      Delete
    2. YES! I saw that interview with the son and the 101 - year-old Mother who owns the Lobster business! She is an amazing woman!

      With all the improvements in medicine, nutrition and exercise information most of us will outlive our parents!

      Delete
  5. Sometimes waiting is the most difficult thing to do. Enjoy your new stove, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hardest part for me is deciding when the time has come for the next move. But I think I'll know, sauf l'imprévu.

      Delete
  6. I'll bet you'd enjoy Auxerre. But then, you're both thoughtful and adaptable; you'd probably fit in lots of different places.
    Hope the sun comes out soon--that always helps with the frustrations of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did get some sunshine yesterday afternoon, but it's kind of too late now. Summer is pretty much over. That said, I do hope for a sunny and warm September and maybe even October too. Une belle arrière saison...

      Delete
    2. "Summer is pretty much over." I hope that's not true here in Maine. We haven't had a true Summer yet. Unless you call super high humidity a summer.

      Delete
  7. Auxerre looks very interesting, and that lovely river, oh my.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?