08 August 2021

Avallon's old town (2)

The tower in the first photo below is called the Tour de l'Horloge, which stands 49 meters (161 ft) tall. It was built in 1456, after Avallon had suffered badly during the 100 Years' War — its walls and older defensive towers had been torn down, so it was defenseless. The Tour de l'Horloge (clock tower) was designed to be a watchtower from which invaders could be seen before they arrived in the town. A few years after it was built, a bell that weighed 500 lbs. was installed at the top of the tower so that the populace could be alerted if danger threatened. This is the vieille ville (old town) quarter of Avallon, whose name derives from the Celtic word for "apple tree"; there were extensive apple orchard in the area in the Middle Ages. (Thanks to Wikipédia for all this information.)

    

    

    

8 comments:

  1. As it stands, I don’t think I have ever been in Avallon proper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my first and only time going there. We were in a hurry so didn't see much.

      Delete
  2. I see the frog in the first photo! He longs large. Thanks for the history of this pretty little town and so old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely town, I must visit.
    The Tourist Office has created a walking tour of the town called The Frog Circuit, taking you to 25 points of interest. Why Frog? I don’t know. (thank you Trip Advisor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BettyAnn, i think it is because a frog leaps from one spot or point to another.

      Delete
    2. Good answer chm!

      Delete
  4. I wish I could remember what street my family's house was on, so I could visit it with Google Streetview.. I have zero idea. I do remember going for walks with them up a high road, maybe from the vantage point you've gotten photos from. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's an attractive town I'd love to see. The only Avalon I've visited is in New Jersey, of "I left my heart in Avalon" fame.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?