27 August 2021

Plants we live with

These are some plants that we've planted, some that we inherited 18 years ago and have tended to, and at least three have roots (ha ha) in the U.S.

#2 is a yellow-flowering Sedum floriferum that my mother got in Illinois and planted in her yard in North Carolina; I brought cuttings back to France when she sold her house in 2005 — #3 is a donkey tail plant or (Sedum morganianum) that I also brought back from N.C. a dozen or more years ago — #4 is a prickly pear cactus (Opuntia humifusa) that CHM brought here from Virginia in 2004, I think.

     2

     4

     6

Walt planted the perennial geraniums called Rozanne in photo #1 a few years ago. He bought them here in the Saint-Aignan area. Hydrangeas (in French hortensias, #5) were growing here when we bought the house. I don't know what #6 is; it's a plant that grows in our neighbor's hedge. You might also notice some "hens and chicks" (joubarbes in French, maybe Sempervivum calcareum) in pots scattered all around. A friend in our village gave me some of these a dozen or more years ago and they have been happy here.

11 comments:

  1. To me, #6 looks like a clematis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After some research, I think it is Clematis vitalba, Clématite des haies or Old man’s beard.

      Delete
    2. I found images of flowers that resemble these and called Tête de Sébatrice de Clematis orientalis (clematis chinois, virginsbower oriental). There seems to be hundreds of different clematis flowers.

      Delete
  2. Lovely that you have A little bit of many people who are dear to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did the tiny Chinese money plant that I brought you survive? If it did it will produce children :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's doing fine. It hasn't grown a lot, but it keeps putting up new leaves. I'll post a picture.

      Delete
    2. It's a slow growing plant, but in time it gets to be about a foot high. Glad it made it there in my sock.

      Delete
  4. A follow-up that occurred to me after the discussion the other day about slugs. Have you tried diatomaceous earth? If the Gamm-Vert doesn't have it, Amazon does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about that. Amazon.fr does have it. It's so chilly here that I excpect the slugs and caterpillars will soon become inactive. The greens can keep growing until spring unless we have a really hard freeze.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?