21 July 2021

Palluau-sur-Indre et son château

Palluau (pop. 800) is about 25 miles south of Saint-Aignan, on the right bank of the Indre river. The first mention of a château there dates back to the year 1073. The French king Philippe-Auguste and the English king Richard the Lionhearted fought over it in the 12th century. The English occupied Palluau during the 100 Years' War. In the early 17th century, the château became the property of the count of Frontenac, whose grandson was appointed governor of the province of Québec (Nouvelle-France) by king Louis XIV in 1672...


1       2

 3   4   5

 6   7   8

These are some photos I took in Palluau in 2011 using a Panasonic Lumix camera that I still have.

11 comments:

  1. I don’t know what kind of flag is flown on photo #5, but I know that the wild flower on the left is a Red Valerian a.k.a. Lilas d’Espagne in French.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our neighbor who recently moved down south had a lot of it growing on her property. I regret not asking if I could dig some up before she left the area.

      Delete
    2. I'd never heard of Red Valerian or seen it in gardens, it must be an east coast plant. Nice scale to this "smaller" chateau.

      Delete
  2. Very nice set of photos of an amazing place I'm sure few have ever seen. You are fortunate to live in an area dotted with so many ancient chateaux.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I first "found" or heard of Palluau-sur-Indre about 15 years ago when I was out exploring and noticed its funny name in the Michelin Green Guide. I haven't been there in 10 years now. Time for a return visit.

      Delete
  3. The Queen Ann's lace is nice in the first photo. I'm enjoying seeing these lesser known castles within your "exploring" range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying the process of re-finding all these photos and re-processing them in Photoshop. Posting all these photos is a pandemic project I've given myself. For posterity's sake, I guess. People unknown may well find these blog posts and be interested in them for find them useful. I'll go back to Palluau one day soon to see how the place has fared over the past 10 years. I think the château has a new owner.

      Delete
    2. I personally enjoy traveling or re-traveling with you.

      Delete
  4. Ditto what Kiwi said. You took great photos with that camera -- I never tire of historic photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And ditto what Judy said. How is Palluau pronounced?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BettyAnn, I left you a comment 5 or 6 hours ago, but it didn't post. Who knows why?

      Palluau is pronounced [pah-lu-oh], with that French U sound that we don't have in English.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?