01 July 2021

Last stop: Saint-Aignan-sur-Cher

These are some photos I took yesterday afternoon after trips to Romorantin and Valençay earlier in the day with Evelyn and Esta. We were across the river from Saint-Aignan in the town/village called Noyers-sur-Cher. I drove up to a high ridge on the north side of the Cher River for views of Saint-Aignan and its château.

We were looking south into the afternoon sky, out over the St-Aignan-Noyers train station.
It is served by both freight and passenger trains.


I took this picture with an old Panasonic camera, which has a longer zoom than the Sony camera
that I use most of the time these days. We were about 2 miles north of the château,
which is privately owned and not open to the public.

And I took this one and the one below down on the bank of the Cher River in Saint-Aignan itself.
The Renaissance-era (1500s) château is on the left and the medieval donjon
(a tower in ruins that was part of the old fortifications) is on the right.

The stone bridge that spans the Cher River in Saint-Aignan was the site of an old grist mill
until the middle of the 20th century. The town's church dates back to the 1100s.

This is the chambres d'hôtes establishment (B&B) where Evelyn and Esta stayed while they were in the area.
It's in Noyers-sur-Cher and is called La Noisetière. We had dinner with them there last night.
They will be leaving this morning to drive up to Chartres (two hours north)
and from there on to Paris for a few days.

19 comments:

  1. What an attractive little B&B! Ah Chartres...I wish I could go with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice.... your own chateau is almost as imposing as the chateau of Amboise....

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the foreground of the first photo, is it Our Lady of the Elevator, aka Notre-Dame de l'Assunption?
    Glad Evelyn and Esta had a nice stay in Touraine. Looking forward to more photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This B&B was really comfortable. Tha dinner with our hosts is a favorite trip memory. There were new wines with every course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your review, Evelyn. Your dinner must have been good for it to be ‘a favorite trip memory’! I’ve saved the site and hope to stay there on our next trip to the area. Thanks to Ken for finding this BnB.

      Delete
    2. It was lively conversation and good food and drink. What else can you ask for? I greatly enjoyed it, along with the rest of Evelyn's and Esta's visit.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I'm so glad that you showed us where Evelyn and Esta stayed... I'm always curious about lodging places :)
    When we were in Chartres in 2017, they were doing a massive cleaning and restoration project inside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, during the Architectural Film Festival a couple of years ago, my french class viewed a film about the restauration des vitraux (restoration of the stained glass windows) - I am anxious to return to Chartres to see the results! Nice looking B&B!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe that the last time I went into the cathedral at Chartres was in 2004. At least I think it was. I'm due for another visit.

      Delete
    2. Correction: I just found a post on the blog saying that we spent time inside the cathédrale de Chartres in 2006.

      Delete
  7. Looking forward to seeing Evelyn and Esta on Saturday 😊 Claude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a very good time doing our (what I hope will prove to be) post-pandemic touring around. I hope you are doing well.

      Delete
  8. I am doing as well as possible. My daughter just had a fourth boy and has moved to the suburbs. Hope you guys are doing well too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. It is hard to believe how fast time passes.

      Delete
  9. Love the names of the saints of the grain elevator.
    What sorts of restrictions did they have in order to get into France from the US?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't written about that because there wasn't much to say. They had to be tested in the U.S. 72 hours before departure. On arrival, nobody asked them any questions about Covid. No test was required at CDG. Nobody even asked to see their vaccination cards.

      Delete
    2. Forgot to add: they do have to be tested again here in France before flying back to the U.S.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?