12 July 2021

Duck! Food "interlood"



I don't do many food or cooking posts any more. I'm not sure why. Is it because the pandemic and the confinement? Or is it that I don't have a lot of new foods or recipes to share. After 18 years here, I guess I've settled into a pattern. I make the same recipes over and over again — plats mijotés (slow cooked dishes) for about half the year, and grillades (grilled meats with side dishes) for the other half.


I guess yesterday's lunch was sort of a combination of the two. Walt seared a duck breast on the gas grill and then let it rest so that it was done but rare or medium rare (rosé), not well done. I cooked beans — haricots blancs et haricots cocos plats — in the kitchen on the stovetop. We had no rain to prevent grilling, but it was certainly not warm enough to discourage indoor cooking.



You can see how rosé the duck breast (un magret de canard) was. For grilling, we take the skin and fat off the breast and just grill the lean meat. That keeps the grill's grease tray from filling up too fast. When you cook the duck breast in a fan on the stove or in the oven, you can leave the skin and fat on it. We seasoned this duck breast with just salt, pepper, and a sprinkle of spicy hot smoked paprika.




I always have duck fat in the refrigerator and I used some of it to season the beans, along with garlic, shallot, a pinch of hot red pepper flakes, and some dried thyme. I really like these flat green beans (cocos plats). I cooked them before adding them to the cooked white beans before warming them up in a frying pan. White beans and duck are a match made in heaven (think cassoulet).





This is fresh duck breast, not confit de canard. Still, confit (slow-cooked duck legs and wings) would be really good with beans cooked this way. Here's a post from a couple of years ago about the different duck parts that we can buy here in France and how we cook them.




To finish the meal of duck and beans, we had a combination salad-and-cheese course. It was a caprese salad of tomatoes and mozzerella cheese with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Instead of basil, we made it with fresh thyme, which we have growing in the back yard. It was a nice change from the classic salad.






P.S. It's raining this morning and according to our outdoor thermometer the temperature is 17ºC (62.6ºF). The predicted high for today and tomorrow is 19ºC (66.2ºF), with steady rain or at least frequent showers. Where is summer? It's not in France, that's for sure.

19 comments:

  1. The duck is cooked to pink perfection. the tomato salad looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt really is the master of the barbecue grill. And of the thinly sliced tomato, salted, peppered, and dressed to perfection.

      Delete
  2. Even though it is four in the morning here, this is a meal I’d like to share. Magrets de canard cooked to perfection, I agree with Diogenes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life with tablets is so frustrating! I have two iPads, one, #2, is up to date and the other, #1, has not been upgraded for several years and it is the one I normally use.
      The latest ios version is such a mess! However, I'm trying to get used to it because I (unfortunately) need it for different things.
      In most cases, I write my comment in Notes, save it and copy it in Ken's blog. This morning, with #2, I wrote my comment, save it and tried to copy it in Ken's blog! I tried four different browsers, no way I could copy it. I was so frustrated!
      So, I mailed it to me, took iPad #1 and I was able to copy my comment in Ken's blog with it! Les joyeusetés de l'électronique! Now, I'm going back to sleep.

      Delete
    2. Where this is will, there is a way CHM! I look forward to seeing you here everyday.

      Delete
  3. Wow! You could JUST do cooking posts and I'd be a happy camper. Your access to good food is enviable and it's nice to see it made use of so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious looking dinner! You two make a great team but then, we all knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That duck looks mouth watering, yum yum. Hope all is well, cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. The duck is absolutely perfect! I make magret fairly often, but to get proper duck breasts I have to do mail order. The ones sold here are from the "wrong" breed of duck. I used to always grill duck breasts in the warmer weather and cook them on the stove in the cooler weather, but now I often cook them on the stove even in the summer, because that way I can make a sauce with the drippings. I also make confit a lot with leg/thigh pieces. Fortunately they work well even with the "wrong" breed of duck that I can get from a local farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t know there was a wrong breed of ducks. I always thought that the right duck was the domestic or farm duck.

      Delete
    2. The most common eating duck in the US is probably the American Pekin. While it can be fine for roasting (albeit without a whole lot of meat), I consider it of little value for making French-style duck breast, although it's OK for leg-thigh confit. I used to think that the duck breasts I would eat in France was always Muscovy, but I'm no longer sure of that. The duck breasts I buy by mail order here are Moulards, a Muscovy/Mallard cross, and maybe those are what are sold in France.

      Delete
    3. Mknd-boggling, indeed! But the story of the Colvert in French, fascinating.

      Delete
  7. Flat green beans are my favorite also! It's 75 degrees here with a steady rain, it almost feels like fall already.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that looks very good! It's fun to see a food post. I hadn't thought about them being absent, but seeing one again, is a treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those beans look so good, and what a nice combination. Agreed with the others about the rest of the menu, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your cooking posts! I also enjoy when you post about the different wines you are able to purchase locally. I don't know a lot about wines, but I appreciate learning about local (Missouri) and French wines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. " I also enjoy when you post about the different wines you are able to purchase locally" Me, I get jealous. Or sad that I'm not in the area.

      Delete
  11. I have missed your cooking blogposts. Even if you're repeating them, it gives me inspiration. Please keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?