02 July 2021

Amboise on the Loire

After our walk around the Château de Chambord and our lunch followed by a wine-tasting in Vouvray, where I didn't take any photos, we drove back to Amboise to see the château there. It's on a high bluff on the left bank of the Loire River. The views from the other side of the river are pretty nice. Here are three photos I took when we stopped there for a few minutes. Evelyn has vivid memories of times she and Lewis visited Amboise in past years, and she wanted her friend Esta to see the place.




This morning I got an e-mail from Evelyn saying that she and Esta arrived safely in Chartres yesterday. After spending the night there and seeing the cathedral, they'll be taking the train into Paris around noontime today. I envy them. I'm not really ready to go to Paris yet, however much I might enjoy doing so. The fact is, I feel like I have a slight cold. Maybe it's just pollen allergies. Doing all the driving I did on Tuesday and Wednesday (about 300 kilometers — 180 miles) really tired me out, even though it was fun. I probably drove more miles on those two days than I had driven in total over the previous 18 months. My shoulders and back feel stiff. I'd forgotten how many muscles you use when you drive a car all day.

13 comments:

  1. Great photos and close-ups of the château.
    Didn't we have lunch once in the restaurant that is just down below the château?
    Glad to know E&E made it safely to Chartres.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did eat in a restaurant on the quai just below the château. Was it the Bellevue?

      Delete
    2. No, I think it was the Lion d'Or. Au lit on dort!

      Delete
    3. At the Lion d'Or, there were the three of us (I checked the photo of the dining room). But, now that I think of it, I think the two of us this time, we had lunch in a restaurant near the bridge. Do I remember correctly?

      Delete
    4. Not sure what you mean. The Lion d'Or is at the foot of the bridge in Amboise, just two or three doors from the Bellevue. At the Lion d'Or it was the three of us.

      Delete
    5. LOL! I have no idea. I don't remember food like you do! I might remember if it was good or not but that's the extend of it. In this case, it is extremely fuzzy.

      Delete
  2. Traveling seems to use a whole different set of muscles, doesn’t it? I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to know that Evelyn and Esta made it safely to Chartres (was that by train, or rental car?).
    Hope you're quickly on the mend, Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel better this afternoon. Just getting used to old age and post-pandemic activities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear your back is better. Driving will be different for me, too. I drive around town, but any long-distant driving hasn't happened for a few years now. I'm sure my back, neck and arms will react when that happens. Ugh!

    Fun to read the discours between you and chm about your travels and the meals! In my family when we were recalling details of vacations, it seemed we each had special things we had exact memories of and others that concentrated on our interests of recall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are feeling better now ! I loved each one of those miles, but surprised that we drove so much. Coming out of the pandemic is strange indeed. Well I hope we are out of it, time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear ya on the driving. I have driven fewer than 5,000 miles in the last 16 months, not even enough for an oil change, and now when I take the car out I notice how my reaction time has slowed, have to be more careful.
    Glad E&E got to see the Loire and Chartres. On my list, too.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?