02 April 2021

Chakchouka aux poix chiches

We had a big jar of dried chickpeas (a.k.a. garbanzo beans; pois chiches in French) that had been in the kitchen cabinet for quite a while. We decided to cook them. I simmered them for four or five hours in a big pot of water on the stove. Chickpeas are something we like to eat with North African couscous, a stew containing tomatoes, eggplant, turnips, zucchini, onions, and other vegetables that is served with couscous grain. We usually use canned chickpeas.


Then I started searching the internet for other recipes using chickpeas. It didn't take long. The first recipe I found looked so good that I didn't look further. It's called chakchouka, and I had never heard of it before. It's chickpeas cooked with diced tomatoes and sliced bell peppers (red and green), with spices like cumin, paprika, caraway, and fenugreek. After doing some reading, I learned that chakchouka is essentially that mixture of tomatoes, peppers, and spices, with different ingredients including meats, eggs, and chickpeas added to the mix or served alongside.


We had a package of boudin blanc sausages in the refrigerator, and we hadn't yet figured out what we were going to make to have with them. I had bought the sausages a few days ago just because they looked good. And, I thought, why not eat the boudin blanc with chickpeas cooked in a tomato and pepper sauce. It would be sort of like North African beans and franks. Walt cooked the sausages separately, on the barbecue grill. The grilling season has begun here, with warm, sunny weather (which is about to end now, according to forecasts).


The texture of the fat boudin blanc sausages resembles the texture of frankfurters (saucisses de Strasbourg or de Francfort in French, and also called knacks in Alsace). These were made with chicken, but they can also contain some veal or pork, along with bread, milk, cream, eggs, onions, and cornstarch (Maïzéna in French, a.k.a. fécule de maïs), all pureed together, flavored with a pinch of nutmeg, stuffed into sausage cases, and then poached in chicken broth made with lots of vegetables. You could substitute other sausages made with chicken or turkey. Or pork or beef, of course.


If you think you see carrots in my chakchouka, you do. It's because the day before making it I had heated up some chickpeas with onions and carrots sauteed in olive oil to have as a side dish with grilled chicken thighs. I decided to add what was left of those and cook everything in the tomato and peppers sauce.

Here's an ingredient list for the chakchouka with chickpeas. It's easy because it's fairly free-form — as long as you put in onions, bell peppers, tomatoes and peas or beans (red beans would be good....) Vary the spices as you see fit. I added fenugreek because I like its taste. Cook it on the stove or in the oven. Let the chakchouka mixture dry out and thicken up as much as you want it to.

1 Tbsp. carraway seeds
1 Tbsp. cumin (seeds or powder)
1 Tbsp. paprika (smoked or not, hot or mild)
1 tsp. cayenne pepper (or hot red pepper flakes)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, pressed or chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup water (use some or all of the chickpea cooking liquid)
¾ to 1 lb. of cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed (home-cooked or one large can)
¾ to 1 lb. diced tomatoes(fresh or canned — I used a jar of tomato puree)


The Larousse Gastronomique describes chakchouka this way: Plat traditionnel de la cuisine arabe et maghrébine. Ce ragoût de poivrons, de tomates et d'oignons cuits dans de l'huile est assaisonné de piment, de harissa et de sauce tomate. On y casse éventuellement ensuite des oeufs ; quand ils sont cuits, on poudre le plat de menthe sèche. Les poivrons peuvent être remplacés par des petits pois, des fèves, des pommes de terre ou un mélange de courgettes et d'aubergines. On agrémente souvent la chakchouka de merguez grillées ou de tranches de viande séchée.

Garnish these spicy beans with chopped fresh cilantro, parsley, basil, or mint at the table. They would be good with merguez sausages, which are made with lamb and beef (no pork). They would also be good as a vegetarian dish, and one way of serving them is with eggs. Cook the beans until the sauce thickens. Make little depressions in the chakchouka with a spoon and drop a raw egg into each. Continue cooking until the egg whites have set but the yolks are still runny. Here's a link to a recipe in French, with photos.

25 comments:

  1. This tomato, bell pepper, garbanzo stew looks very appetizing. i'd sure like it, but with fewer spices. To each his own!

    Frank used to say, French people (and Ken) put carrots in everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You seem to like couscous with spices...

      Delete
    2. You're right. So maybe I should reconsider

      Delete
  2. That's my kind of meal. I love garbanzos any way they're served. I'm waiting for our household's (not me in the kitchen) first try at garbanzo falafel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! I'll be making it to serve with local sausages (from our Derbyshire butcher!) asap as we don't get boudin blanc here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I got some green peppers in a bundle so looks like this in on our menu! I also make chickpeas-of-the-sea when I have extras - just like tuna salad but with garbanzos instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clever idea! I'll give it a try, too!

      Delete
    2. Just somewhat smash the chickpeas - add what you would to tuna salad. I like it even better.

      Delete
  5. We make “Shakshuka” often, which sounds similar minus the chickpeas. We then poach eggs in the cumin spiced tomatoes and serve with hummus. Our family makes that for special breakfasts, birthdays, etc., but I’ve made a quickie version for one by spicing up a small can of tomato sauce. So good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hummus is pureed chickpeas,so I guess it comes to the same thing.

      Delete
  6. I don't really know what Fenugreek tastes like, or if I've had it, or if it's available here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither do I know what Fenugreek is? I don't think I've ever seen it listed in ingredients before today.

      Delete
    2. Fenugreek is a staple in Indian curries and curry powders, I've read.

      Delete
  7. Looks great Ken! Can't go wrong with tomato, garlic and onion as base ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Diogenes! That's when I decide to try a new recipe!

      Delete
  8. Ken - I now follow your advice (and my Mother's) to just add any leftovers into a dish that it seems to meld in! As for the carrots --- Yes!!! Why not add carrots?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a stir-fry of carrots, onions, black radish, broccoli, and chicken for lunch today.

      Delete
    2. I don't have any black radish, would red have a similar taste? That could be my dinner tonight (Saturday)! Sounds quick and delightful.

      Delete
    3. Yes, you can used red radishes, or no radishes at all. I've posted about cooking radishes on the blog but it was about braising them, not stir-frying, for which it's good to cut carrots and radishes into matchsticks for cooking. You can do the same with the peeled stem of a head of broccoli.

      Delete
  9. Ken, I just got a new Facebook friend request from you, even though we are already FB friends. Did someone hack your FB account?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy, for letting me know. I just changed my FB password. Maybe that will take care of it for now.

      Delete
  10. You can also toss them in olive oil and spices, then bake them for a tasty crunchy snack. There's a name for that variation, but it escapes me at the moment. Chef Google will know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt read about that on some web site, and he plans to cook some that way. We still have leftovers of the big jar of dried chickpeas we cooked.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?