14 June 2012

Poppies

One of the most striking sights around the Loire Valley (and other parts of France) in springtime and early summer is large fields of red poppies. They're called coquelicots [kuh-klee-KOH] in French.

Poppies near Pouillé in the Cher Valley

This field is on the road between the wine villages of Mareuil-sur-Cher and Pouillé, just west of Saint-Aignan on the south banks of the Cher River. CHM and I drove by it a couple of times last week, and on Saturday we stopped and took a few pictures.

CKB by CHM on a background of red poppies

CHM obviously took the picture of me on the edge of the field of red flowers. I didn't have my camera, so he handed me his and told me to take a couple of pictures with it myself. I really don't know who took what picture here, but the field is so photogenic that it doesn't matter.

Here's a copy of the new banner photo.
You can enlarge this one by clicking on it.

12 comments:

  1. Magnificent (not sure about the shirt/poppy combo though...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, these photos have made my day. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, you are right, I should have taken the shirt off and just worn my blue T-shirt for the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The poppies are one of our favorite sights of travelling thru France - we never really see them here in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fabulous photos... those poppy fields are a marvellous thing to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We drove past this field last Friday but didn't stop to shoot photos. I took one from the car, but it's all blurry and has no real depth. Thank you for posting these; they are exellent! Martine

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful! Thanks to CHM;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Quintessential June :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos, great header. We're so glad that coquelicots usually linger through September, though not in such an eye-popping way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I don't think I've ever seen them in person. Nice look for the new banner :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful field of poppies!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?