22 July 2024

Sancerre countryside

In 2014 Walt and I drove over to Burgundy for a few days of sight-seeing. Our route took us through Sancerre, which is on the border between Burgundy and the historical Berry province. One of our destinations was the wine village called Chablis. These are some photos I took on the outskirts of Sancerre, in the vineyards.

Sancerre is less than two hours east of Saint-Aignan, and about two hours south of Paris. It's also less than two hours from Chablis and places like Vézelay (a beautiful hilltop village), Irancy (a wine village), Tonnerre (another wine village) and the big towns of Avallon and Auxerre, all in Burgundy.

We really enjoyed our 2014 trip to Burgundy. We also had a good time when we visited Sancerre a few years earlier (I haven't found those photos yet).

It's interesting that the white wines of Sancerre are made from Sauvignon Blanc grapes, as are Touraine whites, while most of the Burgundy white wines are made from Chardonnay grapes.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful countryside. I'm not sure but I think Auxerre has a stone age site.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?