15 July 2024

One of the last day trips...

...that I took with Charles-Henry (aka CHM) was a drive over to the Sancerre area, a couple of hours east of Saint-Aignan. We just wanted to see the views. Then we drove up to a town called Jars (zhahr) which was our real destination. CHM had spent time there many decades ago and wanted to see it again. Other towns in the area are Noyer and La Chapelle-d'Angillon. I had never heard of any of them. What did we see and do?






We saw churches, of course. I don't remember going inside of any of them. The one on the right was in the little town called Noyer (Walnut Tree).





And this one was in Jars, which the French Wikipédia article describes as being located on the western edge of the Sancerrois and the eastern edge of the Sologne. It's hilly farming country.



Charles-Henry and I had lunch in a restaurant not far from Jars, in a village called Vailly-sur-Sauldre. I remember that the food was very good. The meal cost us about 30 euros, including wine. I just found the restaurant on Google Maps and learned that it is now permanently closed. That's my little Peugeot in the photo.





After lunch, we drove over to the little town called La Chapelle-d'Angillon and saw the château there. More to come about that...





Along the way, we enjoyed the countryside, as you can see on the right.

P.S. The reason why this was my last day trip with CHM was that he went back to the U.S. in 2018 and never came back to France. In 2016 and 2017 his health was failing so he just stayed in Paris. He passed away at age 99 about six months ago.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful countryside. You and CHM always had a good lunch somewhere (or dinner, or both!)... so many good restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That rolling countryside is so beautiful. I'll second missing chm!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?