25 July 2024

Mennetou-sur-Cher

About 23 miles east of Saint-Aignan and 10 miles west of Vierzon, on the ancient road that linked the cities of Bourges and Tours, there's a walled village called Mennetou-sur-Cher. The name Mennetou derives from the Latin term monastellum, meaning a small monastery. There used to be one here, but it was sacked and demolished during the Viking invasions of the 8th and 9th centuries. The old town gates at Mennetou are still standing. At the main gate, called la Porte d'en Bas, there's a plaque commemorating Joan of Arc's overnight stay in Mennetou in 1429.


I've been to Mennetou-sur-Cher a number of times over the years and taken a lot of photos. This is the first in a series of posts about the town.

7 comments:

  1. What about the mirror? Can you see behind?
    And I love the half-timbered buildings..... they always look so old....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I talked to the man at the auto body shop this morning. He said he's working on the mirror repair. In fact, he's working on two of them. At least he's optimistic about being able to fix it. Somebody else's car needed the same repair. I left the Peugeot with him.

      Delete
  2. I am looking forward to this New serie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rue de L'Enfer or Rue de Paradis...which one do I take?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You pays your money, you takes your choice.

      Delete
  4. I'm looking forward to this new series. Glad you have two cars and a good man at the body shop.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?