16 April 2024

Belleville...

...is a neighborhood on the east side of Paris, in the 20th arrondissement. It is one square kilometer of land with a population of 35,000 or more. There's a beautiful park in the middle of the neighborhood and from there you get great views looking westward out over the city. I've been to Belleville only a few times in my life, and the only really memorable time was in April of 2007. Walt and I drove up there back then to see friends Chrissou and her husband T., who were visiting from California. We had lunch in Belleville and took a long walk around the neighborhood. It was a lot of fun. Below is a quote about Belleville that I found on Google.com, along with some of my pictures.


 Belleville est un quartier branché où se tient chaque mois un marché de cuisine de rue qui s'étend le long du boulevard de Belleville et où des tables sont installées en plein air. Le secteur comprend également un quartier chinois, avec ses épiceries et restaurants simples, ainsi que de nouvelles galeries d'art contemporain et des œuvres d'art urbain. La paisible rue Sainte-Marthe est bordée d'ateliers d'artistes et de restaurants internationaux, tandis que les hauteurs du parc de Belleville offrent une vue sur la ville.

6 comments:

  1. I believe the "vieux Belleville" - all poverty-stricken uphill and downhill alleys and stairs - was the setting for that sentimental old movie The Red Balloon - now demolished and replaced by the modernistic park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, that's funny... I think that, in my mind, I always thought that Belleville was a neighborhood in la banlieue just above Paris... I never realized it was still within the Paris city limits. Ha! I did know about Edith Piaf's life there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never made it there so I'm enjoying these photos. There was a cartoon set in Belleville also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William Schmitt16 April, 2024 15:45

      The Triplets of Belleville, very enjoyable.

      Delete
  4. What a nice day that was, in a memorable year. We had a fine lunch in a Thai restaurant and my first and only visit to Parc de Belleville. I think you drove us around the Arc de Triomphe too, the only time I'd been in a car in Paris. We went home and Tony spent the next 91 days riding his bike from Astoria, Oregon to Georgetown in Washington DC. -- Chrissou

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ve been to Belleville several times and really enjoy the area. I have a soft spot for it because I was born and grew up in Belleville, Ontario, Canada.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?