09 May 2020

Quiche

Yesterday we made the quiche I had a hankering for. I used five eggs, but that's okay, because we have 20 left. I also used about a third of a bag of frozen spinach. There's plenty left — another whole bag. Two big slices of ham went in as well, and we have two slices left. Walt had enough of his home-made pastry in the freezer to make a nice crust.


I'm not happy about having to think so hard about what products we have in the house for upcoming meals, and in what quantities. When you can't just jump in the car and drive three miles to the supermarket to get whatever you need, well... We don't have many options right now.


The other ingredients in the quiche are milk and cream. We have plenty of both of those (we buy sterilized cream and milk, which keep for weeks or even months. And then flour and butter. Butter is running a little low, but we still have some in the freezer. We have flour too, and luckily, pie crust doesn't require yeast, which we don't have, so we can make more crust when we want some.


Finally, cheese. Du Comté, bien sûr ! I still have about 800 grams (nearly w lbs.) of Comté in the fridge, plus some Ossau-Iraty and some grated Parmesan. Things that keep well in the fridge or freezer — cheese, eggs, butter, spinach — are good to have on hand right now. The ham is perishable, however, so it needs to be used up. I suppose I could freeze it. I don't think I've ever tried freezing ham.


As you can see, we ate half the quiche yesterday. We devoured nearly half of it at lunchtime, and last night I snacked on a little piece that was left over from the half that you don't see here. Now we have the other half left for a meal tomorrow or the day after. Today, lunch will be burritos, using leftovers from a couple of days ago.

15 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely delicious! Sunday we are having a safe distance Mother's Day brunch at my daughter Alice's and I believe Emily is bringing a quiche. I wonder what will be in it. Your ham, spinach and cheeses seems a perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quiche is always good. Let me know what kind of quiche Emily makes. Broccoli? Yum. Quiche Lorraine? Maybe the best. Spinach, chard? I think I might make a quiche with Red Russian kale.

      Delete
  2. Nécessité est mère de l'invention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to say the same thing chm, but the anglophone version. Isn't this a lovely looking tart? I want to dive in...btw hankering is a phrase I would have used growing up. Nice othear it again.

      Delete
    2. We usually say "hankering after" rather than hankering for. It's an expression that's still in common use where we live in the UK. It's especially common right now, when people can't easily get what they are hankering after!

      Delete
    3. I was talking in general. What I meant is akin to l'art d'accomoder les restes. Sometimes you have to use what you have at hand, especialy in time of lockdown! Yourk quiche looks scrumptious.

      Delete
    4. About the word "hankering": according to dictionaries, "hankering for" and "hankering after" are used in American English and in British English. I hear both uses.

      As for the quiche, I didn't make it up. There are many recipes for ham, spinach, and cheese quiches on the internet, both in French and in English. Chard or broccoli can replace spinach, and bacon (lardons) can replace ham. Look at this French one, for example: quiche with prosciutto (jambon cru), spinach, and goat cheese.

      Delete
  3. A good quiche is a thing of beauty! Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed like it had been a long time since the last one. Looking back at my blog, I see we made a quiche with chard in late April 2019.

      Delete
    2. The last photo is one I took early this morning, after the half quiche had spent the night in the refrigerator. It looked better yesterday, right out of the oven.

      Delete
  4. I had to scroll back to gaze at that Quiche a little longer... I can just imagine how tasty it is. Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's looks scrumptious! I have frozen ham. It works well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Now I want to make the goat cheese version of the quiche that I linked to above.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?