25 May 2020

French things


I just saw a New Yorker magazine article saying that the sharing the communion cup in churches might turn out to be a victim of the coronavirus pandemic. It's too dangerous for all the congregants to drink out of the same cup. I've been wonder whether, in France, the bises (cheek kisses) and the poignée de main (handshake) that French people share every time they see each other — often every day —might be victims too. Too dangerous. Unsanitary. It's a cultural earthquake is shaking French society.









Meanwhile, as I mentioned yesterday Walt went to the open-air market in Saint-Aignan Saturday morning and got us some more strawberries and some asparagus. The locally grown asparagus spears we get here are white, not green.





The grower who sold us these actually called them asperges violettes, saying the purplish tinge on the tips of the spears was given to them by brief exposure to the sun before they were picked.





Asparagus like this is grown in mounds of sand. The spears are "blanched" because they are never exposed to sunlight as they grow. They're the same plant as green asparagus, just grown differently. I don't really know why they came to be grown this way, but it's such a widespread practice and so taken for granted that none of the web pages about growing asparagus even mentions it.



The white spears on the left have been peeled with a vegetable peeler, starting an inch or two from the tip of each spear.



The sandy soil of the Loire and Cher river valleys and of the Sologne region is ideal for growing asparagus, and there are fields of them all around the area. There's not much to see, however, since the spears stay underground and are cut as soon as their tips reach the surface. All you see is a field of sand in mounds or piled up in rows.




These have been cooked by steaming after being peeled. The purple color fades when they're cooked.




There is a difference in taste between asparagus spears that are white and asparagus spears that have grown above ground and allowed to turn green. I've never done a side-by-side taste test, because we so seldom find green asparagus here. In my opinion, the white asparagus has a milder, almost sweeter taste. The green ones have a stronger, slightly metallic taste. But that's just me. I like both.




These bundles of cooked asparagus spears are wrapped in thin slice of boiled sandwich ham (called jambon de Paris in France).







In culinary terms, the main difference between white and green asparagus spears is that the white ones need to be peeled before you cook them. Use a vegetable peeler, called un couteau économe or just un économe in French. The skin on the spear is fibrous and not really edible. In preparing green asparagus, some cooks carefully trim off the little triangular leaf buds on the spears. Sometimes a little bit of sand might be lurking under the buds.





Ready to be reheated and browned in the oven...

...and, finally, ready for the table. Serve them in the baking dish — one bundle per person.

Yesterday we decided to have asparagus au gratin with ham for lunch. We cooked the spears in a steamer pot. Then we made two bundles of five or six cooked spears and wrapped each bundle in a thin slice of ham. We put them in a baking dish and covered them with a cheese sauce and some grated cheese, leaving the asparagus tips uncovered. I decided to use the ewe's milk cheese called Ossau Iraty, from Basque country, as the cheese for the dish. It tasted good.


11 comments:

  1. I have had this dish at your place and it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The small church my grandmother went to in Florida in the late 70's used small plastic cups for communion, one per person, poured from the chalice. Nice looking asparagus, I agree on the difference in flavor. Green is more common than white here, green requires less labor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asparagus, ham and cheese, a delicious combination. Your lunch looks scrumptious!

    In some churches here, congregants take a small piece of bread and dip it in the chalice of wine/grape juice. I wonder if that practice will continue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder most about les bises- will they outlast covid 19? can they be done wearing a mask? As for communion, most Protestant churches use individual cups nowadays. The cups were glass at first requiring washing, now they are plastic to be thrown away. Some churches are back using social distancing. My church is online, but doing a lot of outreach to the poor. It is remarkable how much we can accomplish online now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My partner and I have a small asparagus patch (we live in south central Wisconsin). Green of course. I enjoy the white spears when I am in Europe, but I really love our green spears. They are actually so sweet that my granddaughter loves to pick them and eat them in the garden. But mostly we steam them, very briefly so they retain their crispness. And we use a lot of asparagus in spring. A pound for the two of us for a side dish! We buy lots to supplement our own crop -- it's so good and so inexpensive. The white one in Europe is always twice or three times the price of the green one here. More of a specialty than something to have on nearly a daily basis in spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are talking about prices for fresh asparagus in Paris or other French cities where asparagus is not grown locally, you are surely right. The local asparagus here in the Loire Valley is a lot more expensive now than it was 15 years ago (what isn't?), but it's still affordable. I'll have to look into green asparagus prices. The green spears are becoming quite the thing up in the Blois/Chambord area.

      Delete
  6. I think the first couple of times I had white asparagus was in France. Neither my wife and I were overly fond of them, although I think we had them at restaurants once or twice and liked them. But the last several years (until this year) we got a jump start on asparagus season by buying asparagus at the outdoor markets in France. It seemed that green asparagus had become more prevalent than white. Then we'd come home and local asparagus season would start here in Maine; it usually starts in mid to late May.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And does white asparagus make your urine have that intense acidic smell that green asparagus does? Just asking! Roderick

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love asparagus and that dish looks mouthwatering! The asparagus I see in the grocery stores around here hardly looks fit to eat. I never see any fat spears. They are always spindly pencil thin spears and certainly aren't worth the price. I ordered a veg box recently and was hoping there would be some in the box, but I was disappointed.

    I've enjoyed the many photos of places you have visited. Places I know that I would never have seen in person. I'm usually on my iPad and I don't dare try to comment on it. It has a mind of it's own, autocorrects too much, and sometimes sends a msg before I finish it! Of course, that might be a user problem! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I'm French and I live in Langeais, west of Tours, and I enjoy reading your blog. It's always interesting to have foreigners' thoughts on your own culture, it helps point out facts and ways that you don't even realize as they've been internalized. Anywayyyy... I've never tried white asparagus this way (like we would do with leek or endive/chicory - which i don't like), I might try that later! We often eat them with vinaigrette or better with home-made mayo. And I recently found a new way that we liked: broiled in the oven, just sprinkle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many variations on this asparagus, ham and cheese theme... mostly in France.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?