05 May 2020

Now it's eggs

I placed a grocery order on line last week, and I went to pick up the shopping yesterday. When I placed the order, there was no yeast available at all. Okay, fine. We have bread in the freezer. But we are almost out of eggs. At Intermarché, the woman who was working the drive-thru operation informed me that one item I'd ordered was not available: eggs. I asked her: Can't you substitute other eggs for the ones I ordered? No, she said, the man in charge said he couldn't make substitutions on your order because you had pre-paid.



Ah bon, I said, c'est quand même embêtant. She shrugged. After she rolled the bin containing my groceries out to the car and started helping me load them into the trunk, I asked her again. Excusez-moi, I said, il n'y a vraiment pas moyen d'avoir des œufs? Non, she said, brusquely. C'est impossible. I didn't bother asking about yeast. I hadn't even ordered any yeast. So that was that.






I was wearing gloves. Even so, I took them off when I got back in the car. I squirted some alcohol-based disinfectant I'd taken with me into the palm of one hand and then rubbed my hands together. I also rubbed the disinfectant all over the steering wheel, even though I was the only person who had touched it. You can never be too careful.



I had already started putting together a list for our next on-line grocery order. We're alternating between Intermarché and Super U. I had planned to go pick up the items on that order next week, because I need to go to the pharmacy then anyway, and it's in the same neighborhood. When I got home, I added eggs to that list. Maybe we'll be luckier next time. Then I looked on the Super U web site to see when the next pick-up slot would be available.




Tomorrow! Wednesday May 6. Cool. Walt needs to go to the pharmacy that very day, so he'll swing by Super U and pick up the groceries. I got some frozen spinach from Intermarché, and I was looking forward to making an omelet. We've got plenty of cheese. I include a couple of cheeses in every order I place on line, because cheese is good with everything. I'm also hoping Super U will have yeast. Their web site says it's available for purchase. But Intermarché's site said eggs were available. So you just never know.




I'm including a few recent photos in this post. Since there are only three occupied houses on our end of the hamlet, and three that are unoccupied, I've been picking a few flowers, mostly roses, that are blooming in the absent neighbors' yards (not to mention ours) and bringing them into the house. They're beautiful, and they smell really good. I've also been taking photos of flowers outside on days when it's not raining.

13 comments:

  1. So sorry about the eggs, and hope you have better luck tomorrow. Your roses and peony bud are all beautiful. Spring is my favorite season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that, but I have a hard time deciding between spring and autumn. Luckily, all four seasons have their strong points.

      Delete
  2. The first and fifth photos are stunning. Red peonies are my favorite., they usually smell very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all 5 photos are stunning, thanks to my Sony camera. Want to explain why #1 and #5 are your choices? I think I like #2 and #4 the best.

      Delete
    2. The first is the composition snd the fifth is the different shades of pink.

      Delete
  3. We are both shopping the same way now. I carry hand sanitizer all the time. We haven't had an egg shortage yet, but sometimes we can't get skim milk or cheddar cheese. I have been making masks which friends and family are needing now. We have a new strange normal now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness it's still easy to get my favorite cheeses like Comté, Brie, etc. We're hoping Walt might be able to get masks at the pharmacy this morning. Also, the village is supposed to start distributing them but we don't know when.

      Delete
  4. Oh, what gorgeous spring flowers, and beautiful photos of them! I especially love the second one because it helps me picture the vase of those beauties, on the table in your wonderful home -- lovely!
    Sorry about the eggs! Great to see that tomorrow you may have some :)
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy. I really like the color contrasts in that second photo.

      Delete
  5. Having flowers now is a wonderful perk of being in the countryside. Enjoyed all the colors today - hope to see the peony when it opens. I haven't seen them in these parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to get a good photo of the peonies this morning. Hard rain was forecast, but it didn't come our way, so the peony petals didn't drop.

      Delete
  6. That peony bud is spectacular.
    I see a modest group of backyard chickens in your and Walt's future. Think how much fun Tasha would have herding them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about having chickens before, but it seems that they would be too "confining" — who would take care of them if we wanted or needed to go away for a week or two?

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?