27 March 2020

Spending spring preparing for winter...

...is what one of our neighbors has been doing recently. He's been cutting down trees, sawing logs into one-meter lengths, and stacking them as firewood that he'll burn in his fireplace next winter. His name is Philippe, and he lives in the next hamlet over from ours. He's about my age. His hamlet (neighborhood, or settlement) is made up of about a dozen houses, and it's called La Grand-Maison. Philippe also owns some fenced-in land on the edge of the vineyard, down a steep hillside from his house. He uses that land as pasture for his donkey. We can hear hee-hawing from our house in the summer, when our windows are open. (See my 2009 post called Nearly Trampled via this link.)


Philippe's house in the hamlet called La Grand-Maison ("The Big-House") is only about 400 meters from our house — a quarter of a mile — as the crow flies. But if you want to go there on foot, it's a 1,500-meter walk (very nearly a mile) out into the vineyard, through some vine rows up a hill, and then a hike on the paved road back down to Philippe's house. There's one other footpath that's shorter, but it taking it involves crossing a stream bed that's very muddy for much of the year. If you want to drive to Philippe's house, it's about 3,000 meters away (not quite two miles) on paved roads. So Philippe is not exactly our next-door neighbor.

P.S. I was just looking at Google maps and I found this street-view photo where you can see Philippe sitting out in his vegetable garden on a warm spring day several years ago.

9 comments:

  1. Phillipe looks exactly like my father in the summer, He had a larger garden though and no wood pile. Lewis used to cut fallen trees in our woods for firewood. Do you think Phillipe sells his wood? This year we hopefully are spending spring to be able to enjoy a virus free summer- j'espere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think he sells firewood, but I'll have to ask him the next time I see him out in the vineyard. I think he cuts it just for his own needs.

      Delete
  2. I have such fun with Google streetview-- and, it's cool for showing students what other countries look like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Google streetview a lot too. I wish we had had all these internet resources when I was teaching French in the U.S. from the early 1970s until the early 1990s.

      Delete
  3. Judy, I wish we had it when I was taking French classes for all those years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are those rain barrels along the wall in Phillipe's garden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are. Wonder if he just lets them fill up with rainwater all winter.

      Delete
  5. Looks like he has crepe myrtle trees in front of his place. Nice. Broadway is streaming some of their classics for free, as we're all in the big house now, and since they're dark. Currently is the West End Revival of Oklahoma! with Hugh Jackman. What a great performance (Ken I never know how to do those link thingies you do):

    https://www.broadwayhd.com/movies/AW2Gtd5Lpx3F9_4Aqeul/play

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?