13 March 2020

Le coulommiers, ou « petit brie »

Note: see paragraph about comments on Blogger at the end of this post.

The other day I was at SuperU and browsing through the cheese section. There are two cheese sections, actually — one is for fromages à la coupe (cheese "cut to order"), and the other is for pre-packaged cheeses. Looking at packaged cheeses, I noticed the cheese below, called Petit Brie.


Above is a photo of the Petit Brie cheese next to a standard-size camembert, just to give you a sense of scale. I bought the Petit Brie partly because in recent comments we have discussed cheese prices in the U.S. vs. in France. My old friend CHM said he had bought a U.S.-made Brie for something like $16.00 — I think it weighed 13 oz. This French-made Petit Brie weighs 500 grams (nearly 18 oz.) and cost me the princely sum of 2.80€ — $3.15 US at today's rate. (The standard French Camembert weighs 250 grams.)


Doing some googling and reading this morning, I've learned a few things. The Petit Brie I bought is what is called a fromage industriel or fromage laitier, made in a plant, factory, or big dairy. That doesn't mean it's not good. It's made from pasteurized milk produced by dairy farmers in Brittany — far from the Brie region, which is just east of Paris. Again, that doesn't mean it's not good. Like Camembert, Brie is not a "protected" name, so it can be made anywhere (even in the U.S.) and carry the name Brie.


The other thing I learned is that Petit Brie is another name for the cheese called Coulommiers, which is usually lumped in with other Brie cheeses but is not exactly like other Brie cheeses. And Coulommiers is also not a protected name, so it can be made anywhere. The full name of the cheese is petit brie de Coulommiers, and around the town of Coulommiers in Brie, 30 miles east of Paris, farmers make petit brie using local, raw (unpasteurized) cow's milk.


In the Middle Ages, dairy farmers around Coulommiers started making this smaller version of Brie cheese because it was easier to ship and less susceptible to damage than the thinner, bigger Brie cheeses made in the nearby towns of Meaux and Melun. Brie de Meaux and brie de Melun actually are protected names (appellation d'origine protégée, or AOP), as is camembert de Normandie.

Anyway, I plan to cook this Petit Brie I bought. I'll make a tartiflette-like gratin de pommes de terre with Petit Brie cheese melted over it. I see many recipes for that kind Brie gratin on the internet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A frequent commenter here sent me an e-mail yesterday to tell me she hasn't been able to leave a comment recently. Her comments just vanish into thin air. I've made a change to my blog layout to see if it helps. Comments will now appear in a pop-up window rather than being embedded in blog posts. I've also read that browser security settings might be the cause of difficulties placing comments. I'm not sure I understand all the issues, but I'll keep reading about them. Some browsers, notably Safari on both MacOS and iOS, are less cooperative with Blogger than other browsers are. I don't use devices that run MacOS or iOS, so I'm not an expert. I know people running Windows also have commenting problems — I do too.

31 comments:

  1. I'm just testing if I can leave a comment using my iPad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well fancy that! I haven't been able to do that for at least a year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, let see if this works. I have not been able to comment either. I have a mac and use Safari, but I tried Chrome and Firefox so it definitely did not like me.

    I wanted to share with you a brioche recipe by Chef Hubert Keller, originally from Alsace, but I guess he lives in America now. I have made it and thought it was delicious and if you made it I wanted your opinion. It went together so easily it shocked me. I could not believe I made it. :)

    http://hubertkeller.com/recipes/basic-brioche-dough/

    Madonna
    MakeMineLemon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although a Mac man, I very seldom use Safari on my Apple products. It used to refresh all the time without rhyme nor reason. It was a pain! Then, on Ken's advice, I used Puffin with success for a number of years. Then, Puffin was no more supported by Apple and I could not use it any longer. Now, my browser of choice is Duckduckgo. It seems to work fine most of the time and be compatible with Blogger, but the other day, when photos were not showing, my comment and Ken's answer vanished and never came back.

    I assume this Brie cheese is called petit Brie because it is much smaller than the usual Brie wheel. Ken might remember that when there was a party at the office we used to buy a wheel of Brie at a nearby wholesale store. Memories!

    One last word, paying $16 for a Brie that's not even the real thing is outrageous, but I don't know which other cheese I might like that would be local and much cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jean, thanks for letting me know. I read on some nerdy site that having the "embedded" comment setting might be a problem, so I changed it to "pop-up".

    Madonna, thanks, I'll have a look at HK's recipe. I was thinking of making brioche this morning but then got involved in a couple of other projects. I'm glad you can comment again.

    CHM, dairy farmers around Coulommiers apparently started making le petit brie de Coulommiers because it was easier to ship since it was of smaller diameter and thicker than the thin, fragile, large-diameter bries de Meaux and Melun. Therefore, it traveled better without breaking into several pieces. That's what I've read.

    I don't really like this "comments in a pop-up" layout, but I guess I'll get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The biggest disadvantage I see with using this pop-up layout for comments is that you can't answer a specific commenter, you have to leave your comment at the end of the thread. I think I remember that I rejected the pop-up option just because of that. But if it lets more people leave comments, I guess I'll live with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ken, Just like you I don't like this pop-up setting either, but you can't stop progress, can you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Checking to see if I can comment. Theoretically my security settings should object to a pop-up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. BettyAnn, sorry, I accidentally deleted your comment — the one that said:

    For years I was able to comment using my iPad and Safari then it abruptly stopped a couple of years ago, perhaps longer. I felt left out for so long. :( I now use Chrome only for your blog and it works.

    I’m really enjoying your posts on cheese, thanks.

    I will get used to this new way of viewing and leaving comments. I swear I will. Ken

    ReplyDelete
  10. We get used to every layout change, eventually.

    I think I remember reading, a long time ago, that Camembert is just the Normandy version of a brie.
    There's the Brie de Meaux and the Brie de Melun as well as the Brie de Coulommiers. In essence, Brie is a cheese making process from the Brie region.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's all in the game and we'll get used to it, Ken, no worries :-)!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope we get to see the gratin you make with this Brie...I don't think I've ever had problems commenting. Hope this new method works better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like this pop up window. I use Chrome on my Mac laptop. Thanks for your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never had a problem leaving a comment on your blog, using Chrome or Safari, when on my desktop Mac. It's my iPad that causes me to have problems commenting, depending on which browser I'm in. When Betsy's vanished the other day, I'm pretty sure that she was on her Mac laptop, though... and most likely using Safari.

    Thanks for the cheese posts!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Ken -- I was just able to post on Walt's blog, using Safari on my Mac desktop, without the pop-up style.
    I'm going to see what works with my iPad.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is that a Deruta, Italy plate? The burgundy one. We traveled to Deruta specifically to buy some Deruta pottery. The shipping was outrageous back to USA so I didn't buy any.
    On our first trip to Italy back in the late 60's my parents and I stopped at a tent beside the road and my Mother purchased a small rooster pitcher with the green/aqua rooster design. Later, in Germany, I found a large salad bowl with the same designs from Deruta and I sent it to her. That Brie I had bought at my local Kroger's store was from a wheel of Brie that I got to see the label: Made in France, from the Ile de France. Murray's Cheeses is a separate department now in our 3 Fred Meyer/Kroger owned stores and I do not think they are repackaging made in USA cheese and calling it made in France! It is wonderful, by the way.
    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ken, just FYI: I am now commenting with my iPad. I was able to comment on Walt’s blog, using Chrome, but not Safari. I’m trying Safari again, to comment on your blog in the new pop-up style, to see if it works.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks like my Safari iPad comment went through using your pop-up commenting. Now I’m trying Chrome with iPad.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mary in Oregon, all I know about the red rooster platter is that we have had it for three decades or longer. And on the bottom is the word Italy.

    I'm glad the Brie was or is good. Was Meaux or Melun specified on the label?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Judy, thanks for the reports on your comment tests.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Most brie I see in America seems a little runnier than what's in the picture above. And yes, cheese in the US ain't cheap. Cotija white cheese very good, also not cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I tried a comment on Walt's blog using Mac and Safari. Zapped, into thin air.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The weird thing is that until a week or two ago, I had no trouble using these on either of your blogs.
    Bah, humbug.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Emm, I don't know what happened. As I wrote, my friend Chris in California suddenly had trouble commenting a month or so ago. Then she got a new laptop and everything started working again. So was it some setting in her old laptop? Or did blogger change something. I had a bout of vanishing comments a few weeks or month ago too, but it hasn't happened now in quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Diogenes, this Brie I bought for cooking has a use-by date of April 14. That seems long to me, indicating the cheese is not yet ripe. On the paper wrapper of a Camembert de Normandie (AOP) box that I have in the fridge right now, I read this about the use-by date on the box, my translation:

    If you like your Camembert young and firm, eat it 20 to 30 days before the date.

    If you like it soft and flavorful, east it 10 to 20 days before.

    If you like it completely ripened and full-flavored, eat it less than 10 days before.

    The package recommends keeping the cheese in its wrapper in the bottom of the refrigerator.

    This is a cheese I bought the same day I bought the Petit Brie. The date on the box is April 3, which is about three weeks from now. The cheese is already pretty "stinky."

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am very new to your blog..just found you yesterday...I live in America, Illinois....I'm a 76 yr.old widow living alone..I love to cook and try new recipes, but usually have to reduce recipes to be fit for just one person, or two...I freeze leftovers :)...I enjoy your blog..I am fascinated about foods and recipes from abroad..I read quite a few blogs from folks who live abroad and enjoy hearing of their adventures...sorry to say I rarely comment, but I am there, reading and enjoying! Thanks for writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello lynney62, thanks for your comment. I used to live in Illinois — I spent nearly 10 years in Champaign-Urbana. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Ken...Amazing! I lived in Champaign-Urbana from '67-'71 while husband attended "Illini"...I am a nurse and worked at Carle Hospital then....It truly is a small world! Yes, many good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  29. We just missed each other. I arrived in Champaign in September 1971 as a new graduate student in the French Department at the U of I. I finally left there for good in 1979, except for occasional visits to see old friends who still live there. Last visit was in 2006.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lovely to hear back from you...thank you. I suppose I'll be an "Illini" fan forever :) So enjoy all your recipes and knowledge on French cooking. I will follow along, and having grown up as a farm girl, I will be embracing the simplicity of cooking with nature's good foods...it tastes best that way! Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?