10 March 2020

Gâteau renversé à l'ananas et au caramel

That's pineapple upside-down cake to us. I made one the other day because we had a small can of pineapple slices down in the cold pantry (le cellier). Given the rainy, windy weather we've been enduring lately, it's important to have some tasty, colorful food in the house.




For the cake itself, I made a standard French yogurt cake batter. The cake recipe is here. Other upside-down recipes I've seen are based on a cake batter that contains a large amount of butter. For this one, I thought yogurt would be better. and I put in only three-fourths the full amount of sugar. The smooth yogurt cake batter should faire le ruban ("make a ribbon") when it's ready. Make it first but don't stir in the baking powder until the pineapple is ready.




I mentioned butter above, and there's plenty of it in the caramel sauce that the pineapple slices are pre-cooked in, and plenty of sugar too. I could actually have used several more slices of pineapple, but one little can was all I had to work with. That's okay, because I incorporated all of the syrup that was in the pineapple tin, part of it in the caramel and part in the batter — for more flavor. I used a sauté pan as my cake pan for this one, because I was making the caramel on top of the stove.






Stir the baking powder into the cake batter and then pour it over the pineapples and caramel in the pan. Bake the cake and when it's done, and still warm in the pan, turn it out onto a serving dish. Serve it warm or at room temperature.

10 comments:

  1. Ooh, that looks sooooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think of it as such a standard American cake. And good, yes.

      Delete
  2. I'm going to plagiarise Ellen! Is it the same e as a crème renversée?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Non, CHM, c'est un gâteau fait avec de la farine, du yoaurt (ou du beurre), du sucre, et des oeufs.

      Delete
  3. Ha! Funny thing -- (my sister) Betsy was just looking around on your blog for your yogurt cake recipe, a couple of days ago! She tried to leave you a Happy Birthday message, too, but she said that the message didn't "take"... but, consider the wishes sent. She loved that brioche post, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother used to make this, though I doubt with yogurt. It looks too delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm having my breakfast coffee and a piece of your cake would be welcome! It's another rainy day here- we've set a record for rain this year already. Mother Nature is making up for last summer's drought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delish! I love pineapple upside down cake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh looks good Ken, a classic! Smart to bake it in the pan,

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we'll have to book a hoiday in/arund St Aignan this summer - we'll come and visit you every day around dinner time! 😂😂

    (Dont worry, Ken - I'm joking. Your own fault for making all these delicious things 😏

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?