12 March 2020

Un gratin de brocoli et de pommes de terre

Today's post is a test. I'm going to compose it and upload photos as I normally do. As I did yesterday, when the photos didn't show up in my post about making a sauce and a stir-fry of turkey, onions, and peppers. We shall see if these photos display normally.


This morning I opened yesterday's blog post again. Everything was working fine on my laptop running Windows 10. But I believe that the photos displayed on the laptop are copies that were stored in the Blogger cache yesterday at a time when they were briefly available from the Blogger server to which I uploaded them. Opening the post on an Android tablet this morning, I saw that the photos embedded in the text of the post were visible. However, when I clicked on them the full-size view  that normally is displayed was still missing. (I hope this make sense to you.)


I did one of the few things I know how to do in order to fix the post — I uploaded the photos to what I believe to be a different Blogger server that exists somewhere in the world and on the 'net. And that seems to have worked. I can now see both the photos embedded in the text of yesterday's post and the larger versions that are supposed to, and now do, display on a separate version when you click or tap on the photos in the text. Even on the Android tablet. In other words, different copies of my photos are now displayed in yesterday's post.


This is feeling a lot like work right now. I'm a happier camper when the blog posts just work the way they are supposed to work. Troubleshooting and repairing posts is not really my idea of being productive or enjoying being a blogger. Let's see if today's photos will display here. I'm uploading  them to and same server I normally use, and used yesterday. They didn't work then. Let's see if the Blogger or Google or whoever has now repaired that server.


BTW, I made this gratin de brocoli the same way I usually make gratin de chou-fleur (recipe), but I added a layer of steamed and sautéed potato slices under the broccoli (of which I had only a pound, compared to the two or more pounds of cauliflower I would normally use for the gratin). The cheese in the cream sauce and sprinkled on top is Salers (thanks to Evelyn for the 2009 photo), which I happened to have on hand. It turned out very well, if I do say so myself.

16 comments:

  1. I do love these kinds of gratins....I am considering ordering my groceries for pickup at the store because of the coronavirus...I hate the idea of someone else choosing my vegetables, but......I'm not much of a risk taker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So everything with the photos on today's blog post is working fine. I'm like you. So far, we have no reported coronavirus cases in the Saint-Aignan area, and I may go to the supermarket again on Saturday, but I'm slightly nervous about it. By the way, sharp cheddar would be good in place of the Salers cheese in this gratin. Some expers say that the Romans found the Gaulois making such cheeses in the Auvergne 2,000 years ago. The Romans took the Gaulois cheese-making know-how to Great Britain, and cheddar was the result.

      Delete
    2. That's an interesting story about cheddar cheese and such a long time ago! Seeing Sales cheese being made is a favorite travel memory of mine.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. Now let's see what happens with comments.

      Delete
  3. All the photos (today's and yesterday's) are visible, including the full-size versions. Thanks, Ken!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is working fine on my Mac Desktop, with Chrome, and your food looks scrumptious. I remember that photo of Evelyn's, from Salers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good. That was a good trip we had with E. and L. in 2009, seeing the Cantal département. We went to the dairy farm where they made Cantal and Salers cheeses, mingling with herds of cattle.

      Delete
  5. Scrumptious looking gratin, Ken. All photos, yesterday and today, visible on my iPad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, BA, for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Slightly OT, a friend sent me a link to a NYTimes article mentioning Pontlevoy during WWII and I realized you had just recently mentioned it in your blog.
    https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2020/03/12/the-righteous-mayor-of-vibraye/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NYR%20Ellroy%20unions%20Vibraye&utm_content=NYR%20Ellroy%20unions%20Vibraye+CID_747170cccf2e7c4d8c5c3626065698e1&utm_source=Newsletter&utm_term=The%20Righteous%20Mayor%20of%20Vibraye.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the post and great tips..even I also think that hard work is the most important aspect of getting success..Thanks for your information, it was really very helpfull..cooking time

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?