17 March 2020

Un confinement de quinze jours...

The "lockdown" in France is being made even more restrictive for the general population. It's designed to limit contacts between people and slow the spread of the coronavirus. We're being told we are only allowed to go out of the house to buy food, to consult with doctors or pharmacists, to go to work if working from home is not possible, and to get a little physical exercise — at least for the next two weeks.

About 100,000 police officers and gendarmes will be deployed to enforce the new rules. People violating them will be fined. We can go out only if it is absolutely necessary. Meeting up with friends or participating in sporting events in public parks is banned. The rules apply in France itself and in all of its dependencies around the world.

Because face masks are in short supply, the government will distribute them free of charge to medical professionals and hospital staff, starting today in the 25 départements that have the highest number of coronavirus cases. The government promises that no businesses will be left in danger of going bankrupt. Businesses facing financial difficulties will not be required to pay their bills, including taxes. No water, gas, or electric bills will be issued until further notice. Rents are suspended.

This photo of French president Macron, who addressed the nation last night, appeared in the papers this morning.

Here are some quotes in French from newspapers including Le Monde, Le Figaro, and Libération:
Emmanuel Macron a appelé la population à ne pas sortir sous peine de sanction, sauf cas exceptionnel, et à « garder le calme ». Le ministre de l’intérieur, Christophe Castaner a, lui, annoncé le déploiement de 100 000 policiers et gendarmes pour assurer les contrôles. Seuls resteront autorisés, « en métropole comme outre-mer », les trajets « absolument nécessaires » pour :

- faire ses courses ;
- se soigner ;
- aller travailler lorsque le travail à distance n’est plus possible ;
- faire un peu d’activité physique.

« Prendre l’air oui, mais certainement pas jouer à un match de foot », les précisions du ministre de l’intérieur..

Face aux pénuries de masques de protection, le président a annoncé leur distribution en priorité aux personnels hospitaliers et aux médecins de ville et de campagne. Ils seront livrés mardi dans les pharmacies des « 25 départements les plus touchés», puis dans l'ensemble du pays à partir de mercredi.

Après avoir promis qu'« aucune entreprise ne sera livrée au risque de faillite», Emmanuel Macron s'est engagé à ce que « celles qui font face à des difficultés» n'aient « rien à débourser, ni les impôts, ni les cotisations sociales». Il a par ailleurs annoncé la « suspension des factures d'eau, de gaz ou d'électricité ainsi que les loyers».
We are starting to think seriously about canceling our April vacation trip. Walt needs to go to see the doctor for his regular six-month checkup, and then go get a new supply of his regular medications — I did all that last week. The cat needs to go the vet's for a vaccination. However, our walks in the vineyard with the dog won't be restricted, as far as I can tell. These must be difficult times for people who live alone...

P.S. An e-mail from the veterinarians' office this morning says no routine vaccinations for pets for the next month or so.

24 comments:

  1. It really is a strange and difficult time. In Ohio we have had a crazy day in which we were first told our primary election tomorrow was cancelled. Then we were told it was going to happen. And now it is off again. https://www.beaconjournal.com/news/20200316/ohio-delays-voting-after-confusing-day?fbclid=IwAR2VtXxh7c7YxHEbMdw2mELeUyGlyag67hpgL6zYqgYvS4-MSS_MCMW-pqQ

    I am glad because I always vote but I am in a high risk group.

    I hope the virus will run its course sooner rather than later, but my younger daughter who is a professor of biology thinks it may be four to six months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wrote to the people who own the rental property where we planned to stay up on the English Channel coast to tell them we have decided to cancel the trip. It was scheduled for Apr. 18 - 25. I think it's better this way. We'll have plenty to do in April to get our vegetable garden going for the growing season.

      Delete
  2. And I hope all the regulations in France affect you and Walt with a minimum of difficulty and you both stay well. Probably many things you wanted to see in April will be closed to the public.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am praying the corona virus will be successfully contained soon. I am in the age group that is more at risk, though in good health, so I am self isolating for a week now. My older son brings me groceries and leaves it on the porch, and I go on walks with my dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will be contained soon too, but I can't be optimistic at this point.

      Delete
  4. I'm guessing things will mot be normal by April. We were contemplating NYC at the end of March, but our hotel blocked out our dates. I called the front desk to see why. They said they had "zero" occupancy and that hotels in Midtown were closing. LA County closed all restaurants, bars, gyms, health clubs, theaters, etc today. And I've received an email from every company I've ever bought a lamp, or stationary or underwear from in the last 10 years telling me they're doing all they can to mitigate the virus spreadin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few days in NYC sounds like fun. Sorry to hear it is not in the cards at this point.

      Delete
  5. Stay near home, shop a little. cook a lot take wonderful walks with the dog, how will you notice the difference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The local supermarkets have a service you can use to do your shopping on-line and then drive over to the supermarket to have the groceries loaded into the trunk of your car. We foresee taking advantage of that service. It's called Drive!

      Delete
  6. The big problem, in my opinion, with this coronavirus is you don't know who is infected and can be contagious without knowing it, and who is not. On one hand, you could be completely safe and, on the other, be right in the middle of a cesspool of that nasty thing!

    That why all these drastic measures are necessary and must be strictly followed.

    Macron's speech was a little long, but I think it was to make sure people would understand the gravity of the situation.

    In the Baie de Somme you might be in a safe environment, but as someone suggested here, you might not be able to move around as you please, go to restaurants, etc.

    As far as I'm concerned, being at risk because of my age, I'm going to stay home until further notice. Friends are supplying me with groceries and the like. Since I didn't make any plane reservations, I probably won't be going to France this year, unless...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so lucky to have friends who are willing and able to do your grocery shopping. They are angels, and they are taking risks for you. Count your blessings, and make sure you know that you thank them.

      There's no way to know if someone is infected with coronavirus unless the person has been tested. Some people have almost no symptoms, at least early on. Still, they can transmit the virus.

      As for the Baie de Somme trip, we don't really go to restaurants when we travel with the dog. But if the situation doesn't improve soon, better to cancel now than wait until it's so late as to prevent the gîte owner to rent to somebody else if by some miracle we get the all-clear signal early in April. We'll go up there in October if we can, or next year. So I have canceled the reservation. There's little need to be out in public for the foreseeable future.

      Delete
  7. Everything here is starting to get crazy. Ginger and I will still run mission but we may be alone before long. We are only letting 2 clients come in at a time. Charleigh is afraid that time out will close and she will be without work. I have Ben told we have 2 cases at the hospital here. Not worrying about it too much. I'll just keep doing what I can. Stay safe and good luck.😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too. We are trying to stick to our normal routine and not get on each other's nerves too much. I hope all this not going to mess up the 105 goal.

      Delete
  8. I canceled my annual wellness visit and asked my Dr to renew my medications anyway. She did. Perhaps Walt’s doctor will do the same for him. My husband and I are in the 70+ group so we are staying home completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best to you both. I guess we should be grateful we've never had to go through this before. I hope that in two or three months' time we'll be glad we survived it.

      Delete
  9. If the experts are correct, we will experience for the next 4-6 months social and economic dislocations like nothing we've ever seen in the US. I wish we had leadership that gave confidence of being up to the task. Keep safe, Ken and Walt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too, Bob, Norma, and all the family. Let's just hope things get back to normal soon. It is hard to stay optimistic though.

      Delete
  10. I am 72, but no respiratory problems and no serious health issues, but I do live alone. I live in a small neighborhood with several good friends and with a telephone and a computer I do not feel lonely. My cat is my #1 companion and our french classes are about to become online classes! I just wish the public broadcasting system would go back to new programming -- it has been all repeats for at least a month. My daughter had booked a big trip to Ireland and Scotland for the end of August with 5 other family members, but it may not happen with the current issues. Being a hobbiest, there is plenty to keep me busy and although I need to drive to get groceries, it is just over a mile to get there and they offer online ordering and pickup so that is a possibility for me, here. We can do this! Stay calm, keep exercising and eating well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that you are in a good situation and environment. Trips are being canceled, that's for sure. We canceled our late-April getaway today. A friend in California had her April trip to Belgium and the Netherlands canceled yesterday by the tour operator. It's a brave new world, seems to me. It will be interesting to see what it turns into.

      Delete
  11. We are on day two of distancing ourselves from everyone except immediate family. Try explaining to a three year old why she can't play with her friends. But for the most part we're doing OK planning activities for the three year old. Today was St Patricks day party with green cupcakes. Yesterday was finding four leaf clovers. Luckily the weather is good and we enjoy each other's company. It's one day at a time for a LONG time. I worry for the poor and the health care workers who deal with people who get this virus. It will probably kick back up next fall without a vaccine. Bon Courage tous et toutes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi E., I'm glad your weather is good. Ours is improving, so it's more relaxing and pleasant to spend time outside. That helps. So far so good for us here. I'm spending time cooking (of course), doing gardening chores, and working on cleaning up and sorting through all the extra and duplicate files on my computer. No trouble staying busy.

      Delete
  12. The French response, of suspending rents and utility bills, is so heartening. In the US, people who work in the gig economy or for hourly wages are hurting, and scared. There are not enough tests available, apparently medical supplies are not as plentiful as they should be, and so very many peole have no healh insurance. But the administration knew about this risk for six weeks and did nothing.
    Restaurants, as well as groceries, are offering curbside or even home delivery. I'm told that's safe, just wipe down the packaging. In a grocery yesterday, I noticed that people in line were giving others lot of room, not crowding forward as they usually do. Museums and symphonies are making their collections and performances available on line, and there are remarkable instances of kindness and generosity showing up all over.
    I'm scheduled to go to Scotland in July, but as of now am not at all sure that it'll happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid the UK under the Boris is not doing as much as it could be doing to get the virus under control. England especially is such a densely populated country (the size of North Carolina, but with 5 times as many people) that social distancing won't just happen voluntarily or automatically. I hope your Scotland trip won't have to be canceled. I'm sure you saw that we have canceled, or postponed, our Baie de Somme adventure that we had scheduled for late April. Seemed to be the best plan for now.

      Delete
    2. Glad to see you can comment, Emm, too.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?