14 May 2019

Un héron sous le pont

When I was down in Saint-Aignan Saturday morning, I was walking back to the car, which was parked near the town's bridge over the Cher river. Here's a shot looking downriver.


I looked down from the bridge and noticed a big bird just standing there, not moving at all.


It turned out to be a heron, called un héron cendré in French, I think. Maybe it was waiting for a fish to wash through
in the current under the bridge. There's a heron like this one that feeds in the pond
out behind our house. I wonder if it's the same one.


Here's a view upriver (looking east). The water level in the Cher is really low right now.


The Cher is about 365 kilometers (225 miles) long and flows into the Loire river
near Villandry, about 40 miles west of Saint-Aignan.

2 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful bird, and very patient too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good pictures of the heron. He well could be the one in your pond.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?