03 May 2019

Chard, côtes, cardes, and all that

In comments on one of my recent posts about Swiss chard, my old friend and French-language mentor put doubts in my head about the French name for what is considered the choicest part of the chard plant: the leaf stalk or rib. It's most often called la côte, which means "rib" in culinary language, but it's also called la carde by some authors. I've been reading a lot about chard these last few days, especially in the French language Larousse Gastronomique cooking encyclopedia— the weather has been chilly and rainy, so this occupies my time.

You can enlarge the text of the article below and I think it'll be readable.


Here are a few quotes from the 1967 edition of the Larousse Gastronomique, which has to be considered a standard reference in French, in its article entitled BETTE, BLETTE ou POIRÉE À CARDE. I haven't taken the time to translate all this because I'm not sure what level of interest there is in this kind of discussion. I'm a language nerd and it's pretty arcane. There's an expression in English that seems perfectly appropriate to describe what this is all about: I'm talking about describing somebody as being "in the weeds" — meaning "immersed or entangled in details or complexities." The French expressions ...cheveux en quatre, ...petite bête, and ...enc*lage de mouches come to mind. However, I'm willing to translate if asked...

« Connue encore sous les noms de carde, joutte, etc., [c'est] une plante potagère du même genre que la betterave, dans laquelle la culture a développé les feuilles, le pétiole et la grosse côte... »


It goes on to specify that « les variétés les plus employées en cuisine sont : la poirée à cardes blondes, la poirée à cardes vertes de Lyon, la poirée à cardes rouges, et la poirée à cardes jaunes du Chili... »

« Les blettes se préparent à la fois comme les cardons et comme les épinards. Les côtes ou cardes, généralement larges et tendres, fournissent un légume délicat, et les parties vertes de ses feuilles en produisent un autre non moins apprécié. »

The next paragraph in the article describes the « préparation des cardes », beginning with: « Parer les côtes... les éplucher et supprimer toutes les filandres... » (Chard stalks, like celery stalks, can be stringy.) I assume the LG author is using the term « cardes » to mean stalks, since in the preceding paragraph I read the expression « les côtes ou cardes », implying that these terms are synonyms.


As as aside, let me say that it's interesting how the LG article uses the term « poirée » to describe the most widely used varieties of chard; the term « blettes » in describing how to prepare and cook the stalks and, separately, the green leaves; and then the term « bettes » in the fourteen recipes it gives for cooking chard. All the recipes in the article are for cooking the chard leaf stalks; as for the green parts of the leaves, the LG just sends readers to its article about spinach and recommends following spinach recipes in cooking chard greens.


To conclude, the book in PDF format now called the Grand Larousse Gastronomique, a 2007 revision of earlier print editions of the LG, includes the following article:

CARDE Côte comestible de la poirée, communément appelée bette. Les cardes constituent un légume apprécié en Provence et dans la vallée du Rhône. Cuites à l'eau ou dans un blanc, elles s'apprêtent au jus, avec une sauce tomate ou une sauce blanche bien condimentée, pour relever leur goût un peu neutre.

One more thing: both the Petit Larousse dictionary (I have the 1980 edition) and the Petit Robert dictionary (mine is the 1989 ed.) give this definition (among others) for CARDE: Côte comestible des feuilles de cardon et de bette, and the PR says that meaning dates back to the 16th century. That's slightly ambiguous, because you can't tell if the word carde was used that early for both plants or just one (le cardon, perhaps). I wonder how old names like poirée à cardes blanches or bette à cardes are...

The photos above show the chard leaves. I cut off the leaf stalk (called la côte, la carde, or la tige) right at the bottom of the green leaf, leaving the main rib with the green part. Then I slice the leaf stalk across its width and cook those pieces in a steamer pot. This time, I put the green leaves in a pot with some white wine, olive oil, salt, and pepper. I seasoned this batch with some crushed red pepper flakes.

13 comments:

  1. Wow! That's so interesting. Thank you for the extensive research.
    Here is what I found in the Bescherelle dictionary - 1870 - at Carde:
    Botanique- Côte qui est au milieu des feuilles de certaines plantes, comme la poirée et l'artichaut et qui sont bonnes à manger.
    So, it seems it's a good example of a synecdoche! The use of carde to mean stem is then restricted to this family of plants.

    I didn't know the stem of artichoke leaves was edible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's what Denis Diderot wrote about la better in his 18th century encyclopedia:

      * BETTE, s. f. (Hist. nat. bot.) On distingue trois sortes de bettes ; la blanche, la rouge, & la bette-rave. La bette ou poirée blanche. beta alba, a la racine cylindrique, ligneuse, de la grosseur du petit doigt, longue, blanche ; la feuille grande, large, lisse, épaisse, succulente, quelquefois d'un verd blanc, quelquefois d'un verd plus foncé ; la saveur nitreuse, une côté épaisse & large ; la tige haute de deux coudées, grêle, cannelée, branchue ; la fleur placée à l'aisselle des feuilles sur de longs épis, petite, composée de plusieurs étamines garnies de sommets jaunâtres, & dans un calice à cinq feuilles un peu verd, qui se change en un fruit presque sphérique, inégal & bosselé, qui contient deux ou trois petites graines oblongues, anguleuses, rougeâtres, & inégalement arrondies. La bette ou poirée rouge, beta rubra vulgaris, a la racine blanche ; la feuille plus petite que la précédente, fort rouge : c'est par là qu'on la distingue de la bette blanche. La bette-rave, beta rubra radice rapoe : elle a la tige plus haute que la bette ou poirée rouge ; sa racine est grosse de deux ou trois pouces, renflée, & rouge comme du sang en-dehors & en-dedans. On cultive toutes ces especes dans les jardins. La premiere donne les cardes dont on fait usage en cuisine : on fait cas des racines de bette-rave ; qu'on mange en salade & autrement : on se sert en Medecine de la bette blanche.

      Delete
    2. Would you believe it didn't occured to me that betterave was a cousin of blettes or bettes!

      Interesting that Diderot spelled vert with a D. I think I told you my father, to my surprise, used to spell longtemps in two words as long-temps. Évolution du langage, would say a very good friend of mine!

      Delete
    3. If language didn't evolve, we'd all sound like Rabelais or Ronsard or even Montaigne when we speak. The French language didn't burst forth out of thin air and then exist in some frozen state forever more.

      By the way, the meaning of carde as côte de blette etc. IS also in the CNRTL dictionary. You just have to click on the second meaning of the term to see that definition.

      Delete
  2. Meaning no disrespect, and as one language nerd to another, I have to say this whole intense discussion made me think of a long lost phrase - probably only in the New York lexicon today - "I say it's spinach, and I say to hell with it!"
    Origins go back to a famous New Yorker cartoon: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_say_it%27s_spinach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say it's spinach (sometimes given in full as I say it's spinach and I say the hell with it or further abbreviated to just spinach) is a twentieth-century American idiom with the approximate meaning of "nonsense" or "rubbish"

      Delete
    2. The maybe second-most famous New Yorker cartoon is a drawing of a man in a suit, tie, and wingtip shoes walking on a beach and saying: "I love my lifestyle... but I hate my life."

      I just feel sorry for people who have no taste for spinach, broccoli, chard, or other greens.

      Delete
  3. It is odd that they use all three terms at different times. I don't know that I've ever even eaten Swiss Chard, just read about it a good bit on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time you come to France, I'll try to serve up some chard.

      Delete
    2. And I'll want some of that also!

      Delete
  4. I love this post, Ken! This will be shared today in my french class with a bunch of other "cooking/vocabulary" nerds!!! Merci.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?