12 May 2019

Hail!

Tasha and I had just headed out the back door yesterday afternoon when the hail started falling. We were almost at the back gate and we had to come running back toward the house.


The Citroën was sitting out on the driveway, unprotected. That was my first thought — grab the key and move the car to the carport, which would prevent hail damage. You never know how long the ice will continue falling, or how big the hailstones will get.


In this case, they didn't get any bigger than pea- or marble-size. The greenhouse glass came through the squall just fine. And the hail shower lasted only five minutes or so.


Tasha and I were able to go out for our walk, but it was a short one. There was a lot of thunder, and there were a few raindrops, but we didn't get hit by any more hail.


I was lucky in the morning. I went to the market, bought bread, strawberries, asperges violettes, and two très secs goat cheeses. The cheeses came from a farm over in the village called Fontguenand, which is about equidistant from Selles-sur-Cher to the north and Valençay to the south.


We grated one of the hard goat cheeses the way you'd grate Parmesan cheese and ate it with gnocchi and tomato-and-veal sauce at lunchtime.

8 comments:

  1. I wonder if this hail shower finished up whatever damage was inflicted to the vineyards by recent freezes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know of any damage to the vineyards, whether from the freezing temperatures or the hail. I don't see any damage to vegetation or leaves from yesterday's hail. We were lucky.

      Delete
  2. I hear the hail in South Texas near Houston has been baseball size. Ouch! We live in about the middle of the state and have received just some much-needed rain, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm glad you got the car out of harm's way! I had a car that was pinged all over by a hail storm during the school day once... no way and no where to move the cars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't yet taken a close look at the Citroën, but I doubt it suffered.

      Delete
  4. You are having some crazy weather!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?