07 May 2019

Burning hay as the sun shines

After I clicked the publish button on my blog post yesterday, I went and looked out a rear window of the house. It was a cold morning, but not as cold as the previous morning. Even so, one of the grape-growers was out burning bales of hay near his vineyard parcels to try to protect them from freezing temperatures. The slide show below runs for just over one minute.



I took my camera when I went out for the walk with Tasha pup. There are 15 photos in the slideshow above, and I'm posting them in chronological order. I was out in the vineyard between 7:30 and 8:00 a.m., while the sun was coming up. By then, there was no sign of the vigneron (we know him) who had set the hay bales on fire. He just lit them and left, probably to go look after other parcels of grapevines that he owns all around the Saint-Aignan area. There was no wind, and the weather hasn't been especially dry, so I guess he figured there wasn't much danger of a forest fire getting started.

6 comments:

  1. Off Topic - Just looked at the very interesting French documentary on goat cheese you linked to in a comment yesterday. More than 80% of Selles-sur-Cher goat cheese in industrial! You can’t stop progress, can you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The adjective índustriel as applied to cheese production seems to have a very broad meaning. Such cheeses can be produced in real factories, or they can be produced by small dairies that collect milk locally. The Olivet cow's milk cheese that I think is very good carries a label saying something like lait français, meaning it can come from any part of the country and you don't know which.

      Delete
  2. There's something about a slideshow which is more interesting than just posting several shots on the same subject. But then, obviously you've realized this.
    On the subject of cheese...white cheddar to be precise, we are fans of an Irish selection, Kerrygold Aged Cheddar. They claim all their milk is from the grass-fed cows of small Irish farms. I'm sure this can be found in supermarkets in Virginia, but I'm not sure about the EU. They also make delicious butter, which we use exclusively. And other white cheddars too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember finding Irish butter in a Lowe's supermarket in North Carolina a few years ago, and French butter too. zAs for Cheddar, My memory is more sketchy.

      Delete
  3. Interesting concept--you wouldn't think those small fires could make much of a difference, temperature-wise. Of course, around here, those would have to be monitored extremely carefully (but most likely wouldn't be allowed at all). I loved the slideshow, and the Tasha shot was my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G., I know, I wonder too how much heat those little fires can put out. As for forest fires, we just don't have them here. Different climate.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?