17 May 2019

Pivoines, etc., du printemps




It's finally starting to feel like spring. The fact that I got the vegetable garden plot tilled up this week contributes to that feeling. And so do some of the reliable flowers in the back yard. The peony (pivoine) blossoms are finally opening up.



These pivoines were in the back yard when we moved in 16 years ago. We've never done anything to them except enjoy watching them bloom in springtime. And now it's springtime again. Some might be surprised that spring in really just starting in the Loire Valley. Some of you live in places in the northern hemisphere where it already feels like summer.





These bellflowers (des campanules) were already growing outside the front door of our house when we moved in. The same story applies to them as to the peonies. We just enjoy them.





There's also a faithful old rose bush (un rosier) in the back yard. Who knows? It might have been planted more than 50 years ago, when the house was built. I has actually been flowering for a couple of months now. We did have some nice days in February and March. May has been slow to start, though.







Walt planted a couple of different types of thyme (du thym) just outside the greenhouse a couple of years ago. They are thriving, and one of them is covered in flowers right now. Thyme has an advantage in that it not only looks good but also tastes good.

14 comments:

  1. Spring, with nice warm weather, is my favorite season because of all the flowers everywhere.

    Peonies, some are scented if I'm not mistaken, and any kind of iris are by far my favorite flowers, not that I don't like roses, mind you, but they come in third.

    These photos are really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took these photos with my newest camera, the Panasonic Lumix that's equipped with a CMOS sensor — not the CCD sensor of earlier digital cameras that I loved very much back then. I'm really happy that I finally learned how to get good results with a camera that for many months had disappointed and frustrated me. It was thanks to a comment on a Panasonic users' forum, and I don't remember the person's name. The secret was to set the camera to capture images in aperture-priority mode.

      Delete
    2. I'm thinking of replacing my dear old Lumix whose sensor went bad. NO decision yet.

      Delete
    3. I can't recommend a new model, since my newest camera is already four years old. A lot of models have hit the market since 2015.

      Delete
  2. Our peonies are in full bloom, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just walked by our peonies coming home with Tasha and I noticed that the peony blossoms are a lot bigger today than yesterday. Rain was predicted for this afternoon, but none so far.

      Delete
  3. Our thyme moved easily which gives it another plus- "grows good." Spring is my favorite season like CHM. I'm glad your weather is finally warm. Some friends of ours are in Paris for their first time and I'm enjoying their photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do your friends who are in Paris have a blog? Or do they use Facebook, or maybe Instagram? I'd like to see their pictures.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pivoines! Love the deep red color. Also the bellflowers are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pivoines are an annual event. I believe they were late this year.

      Delete
  5. Lovely pictures, and oh, those peonies!
    Western NC went into mid-high 80s today, after four days of lovely low humidity weather more like June in the Aude. Count your blessings where you're at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do well in that kind of heat, so I do feel lucky to live here.

      Delete
  6. Is it the jasmin jaune I see in the pot next to the thyme?

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?